Foxface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shaker said:
Lfs are full of all kinds of advice and everyone has there own opinion however we the people on a large group of active fish hobbyist on the net have IMO better and more experienced advice and we aren't out to make a buck but help other fish lovers

+1 I agree. I do have an LFS guy about 20 miles from me though that loves this hobby and he almost gives stuff away! He has no overhead and I keep wondering how the guy makes any money because he has stuff so cheap! LOL!

I like my lfs also. I just wish they would be more informative with newbies like me. I bought all my supplies for me set up from them. Everything so they know im not as knowledgable as others. I researched the fish I have just not the box fish that was an impulse but due to my beautiful wife loving it. Lol :). Any way I learned a lesson. Research research and more research.

mike406 said:
I like my lfs also. I just wish they would be more informative with newbies like me. I bought all my supplies for me set up from them. Everything so they know im not as knowledgable as others. I researched the fish I have just not the box fish that was an impulse but due to my beautiful wife loving it. Lol :). Any way I learned a lesson. Research research and more research.

It's hard sometimes at first. This hobby is continuous learning for most I think. I've been in it for years and I learn things from people with 6 month old tanks. A lot of it has to do with the fact that we don't all have the same issues. If you've never had cyano then you wouldn't necessarily know exactly what to do. In addition, just like people, not all fish are the same and have the same needs. Now, I will say this, when it comes to disease or ich...go the conventional route. The best thing to do to prevent those things is to quarantine all new fish.

Shaker, I'm not saying go by only your LFS. I always get more than one opinion when I have an issue or curiosity. At my LFS, which is amazing!!!!!, there are 3 of the staff I go to, all in the hobby. The owner, who is one of the few owners not just looking to make a quick buck off people, and is actually into the hobby. He will tell me right off the bat if I will be wasting money buying his own stuff. I can be willing to spend almost $500 on a light fixture, and he will turn around and say, that this cheaper fixture is better. In other words although he profits off all sales he has morals. The other two are also in the hobby. Just one probably has 10-15 years more experience than the other. But I will ask them all the same question, and at times get different answers. so when I tell someone they should use the main websites as a source, its just that. Not as the ONLY source, but a source. you can not tell someone on this forum to blow off sources like liveaquaria, which I can guarantee isn't ran by someone who doesn't know their stuff. because fact is: these forums have plenty of people that will state an opinion and not have either facts or experience with the topic being discussed. Not taking credit away from anyone by the way, just certain people.

Also, it's a fact that they are herbivores. Just like a scopas tang for example: yes they can and will eat meats, but they are not suppose to. You can argue and say other wise, but it a fact.

Elude i dont want to debate over a silly topic, but an omnivore is a species that eats plants and meat. A herbivore eats ONLY plants, or in our case algae. My foxface and almost all will eat plants (once again, algae) and meat. Based on this they are omnivores.

Yes it is a silly subject to debate over. And I am not saying that they won't eat meat, but they are not suppose to. In the wild their main diet is algae and plants, not meat. so therefore they are just herbivores. Scopas tangs once again are herbivores, but throw some shrimp in there and they will eat it, due to their aggressive eating. If any one wants to show me legit proof that a Foxface is not an herbivore I will gladly say I am wrong. And in advance: I am not saying I am the almighty and I know everything, so don't take what I'm saying as arrogance.

It's a yellow headed jawfish. :) and I'm just saying almost every herbivore. And I thought I read foxface is an omnivore somewhere but need some sort of protein. :) usually by itty bitty meaty shrimp Ect.

Gotta disagree with the fox faces and tangs being omnivores. The scientific community agrees that they are not and I'm kinda banking on them having a clue on such basic matters such as this. Just because they will eat something like shrimp, does not mean they are omnivores. Feed them nothing but meat and see what happens.

I am on the prowl for a new bottom dweller. Temporarily I took my scooter Blenny out of the aggressive tank, and stuck him in the community tank. I look at the aggressive tank, and miss him being in there, so I want to find a new one.

And catalina gobys need really cold water temps, they are not very common because of that.

The Todd, I agree an you must have misinterpreted what I said. I said I own a scopas tang, which IS and herbivore. although he is an herbivore it doesn't stop him from eating meats along with his tankmates. And I believe with him eating meat, it causes side effects.

Good looking out Nu Nu. He just got crossed off my list. I forgot to mention I need a bottom dweller that is invert safe. any idea Nu Nu? And I don't want anything too common. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom