Foxface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will definitely be getting some seaweed for my FF , I did read your thread it helped me feel more comfortable with the way my FF is acting ... I will let u know when I get the seaweed and how he likes it :)

Thanks for the help

I have a fox face in a 110 tank
He did the same hiding for 2 weeks
Now he is great
Eats out of my shrimp net
Eats a seaweed piece every day also
Give him time

You can also throw in some romain lettuce every once in awhile. I rubber band it to a piece of rubble and every one in the tank loves it especially my one spot

Foxfaces are really neat fish, with a lot of personality. Some will do fine in a 50, while others seem to need more space. It's so individual with them that it's hard to make a general minimum size. When in doubt, go larger. The one spot and the regular ff may actually be the same species and there really isn't any major difference between them other than the spot.
His coloring is definitely stress related, but in this case I'd guess its the diet rather thank tank size. They are herbivores that eat meat when available. Make sure he always has greens available and see if he improves.

Foxfaces are really neat fish, with a lot of personality. Some will do fine in a 50, while others seem to need more space. It's so individual with them that it's hard to make a general minimum size. When in doubt, go larger. The one spot and the regular ff may actually be the same species and there really isn't any major difference between them other than the spot.
His coloring is definitely stress related, but in this case I'd guess its the diet rather thank tank size. They are herbivores that eat meat when available. Make sure he always has greens available and see if he improves.

The one spot FF and the LO FF are the same family but different fish. The one spot doesn't get as big and requires a lot smaller tank than the LO.

LO is rated at 125g at 9"
One spot at 70g at 7"

Just sayin

Lo is an outdated genus that is no longer used. Now the fox faced rabbit fish (spots or no spots) are both in the genus Siganus. There is a debate among taxonomists and biologists as to whether or not the two are even separate species as they reach the same size, have the same habits, and can successfully interbreed. Despite what is commonly said, the spot is the only verifiable difference at this time. Remember, a very short time ago, even the experts believed bristle worms were bad. Now we know that they are among the most beneficial organisms one can have in a tank. Science is always progressing, and as genetic testing becomes more widespread, many species are being reclassified. Just as many "facts" are being recognized as myths.
Just sayin.

Lo is an outdated genus that is no longer used. Now the fox faced rabbit fish (spots or no spots) are both in the genus Siganus. There is a debate among taxonomists and biologists as to whether or not the two are even separate species as they reach the same size, have the same habits, and can successfully interbreed. Despite what is commonly said, the spot is the only verifiable difference at this time. Remember, a very short time ago, even the experts believed bristle worms were bad. Now we know that they are among the most beneficial organisms one can have in a tank. Science is always progressing, and as genetic testing becomes more widespread, many species are being reclassified. Just as many "facts" are being recognized as myths.
Just sayin.

Just sayin

Attachments

• image-996987657.jpg
    image-996987657.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 96
Just sayin.

Just saying

Attachments

• image-1383271810.jpg
    image-1383271810.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 65
Yup. The retailer is usin old information. Here is a link to an article on the phylogenetics of rabbitfish. Scroll down through the abstract (I can't copy from the form on my phone) and read the bit about s. vulpinus-s. unimaculatis.
ScienceDirect.com - Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution - Phylogenetic relationships and natural hybridization in rabbitfishes (Teleostei: Siganidae) inferred from mitochondrial and nuclear DNA analyses
The article is from Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, volume 45, issue 1.
Just sayin.

Back
Top Bottom