Foxface looks stressed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My foxface does the same, swims around all day long. As soon as the lights go out finds the same rock/cave formation at the front of the tank, doesn't move and goes all commando and blends in as best he can. Then lights back on next day and boom colour comes back and he's off around the tank again.

My Foxface was a little scared when I first got him but now he swims around alot in the morning and late afternoons .After awhile he goes back to his cubby hole in the corner.I read it takes awhile for them to get used to you.My water is in great condition. I think its a really cool fish as long as I dont touch him.lol

I've now noticed he's out when the lights are off swimming around but as soon as some one walks in the room he goes and hides. He's a scaredy fish lol

I don't really want to touch him, lol.

Now I'm not a expert on foxfaces and I've only had mine for a week now but in the recent months I've done a crap load of reading on them. They flash color as per their mood and for defense. They camo out when they sleep for protection just like parrot fish building their sleeping sacks to keep their scent in. They also use their fins as a warning to other fish they will raise and lower them and flash color at the same time. And it works because I have damsels in the tank and they are still working out their territories. I have plenty of rock in my tank and my foxface doesn't sleep with its fins extended IMO he feels safe but he still is camoed out.

Now you don't NÉED lots of live rock in your tank I've seen plenty of tanks without any( shark tanks, and fake coral reefs for example) you can get by with different types of filtration, but for foxfaces to not be stressed they like to hide very well. Here's a pic of mine. Good luck and happy reefing!

Attachments

• image-2680741630.jpg
    image-2680741630.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 105
You don't need lots of live rock if you are an expert aquarist and don't mind doing 3 times the maintenance. Run denitrators, phosban reactors, etc. The smart move would be to get more rock.

Is the foxface eating prepared also? did you know about the puffer's teeth having to be worn down? I knew a guy that used to pull the fish out and use snips to shorten his puffers teeth every so often. Sounds like a PITA.

He's eating seaweed. Is that what you mean by prepared? I'm not sure.

Yeah taking the puffer out and trimming his teeth sounds like a real pita. Lol. I don't really want to do this because I'm not a dentist , or have the steadiest hand lol.

The guys at the LFS told me if i throw the krill in there frozen thAt will help. And feeding him shell on shrimp, clams, crab legs, mussels.

Is there anything I missed? Anything else you know about?

What I mean by prepared is the meaty foods you are feeding the puffer. FF's are omnivores. Make sure he gets a bit of everything.
As for the puffer, extremely hard things like snails are what it will need occasionally. Crab legs and mussels sounds good too. I don't think shrimp shells are gonna do it.

I'm still hung up on the rock though, and seeing your other post with the proposed stock list, I hope you reconsider before you add them.;)

What I mean by prepared is the meaty foods you are feeding the puffer. FF's are omnivores. Make sure he gets a bit of everything.
As for the puffer, extremely hard things like snails are what it will need occasionally. Crab legs and mussels sounds good too. I don't think shrimp shells are gonna do it.

I'm still hung up on the rock though, and seeing your other post with the proposed stock list, I hope you reconsider before you add them.;)

The ff gets meaty food left ever from the puffer

I'm adding rock slowly. It's not going to be 2# gallon but I'm adding more definitely.

I'm not sure which ones you're asking me to reconsider

I mean to reconsider adding more rock. Not the stock list. It's just a lot of bio load....all those predators.

I mean to reconsider adding more rock. Not the stock list. It's just a lot of bio load....all those predators.

Oh yeah I will be adding more rock. At least 100#. And probably not all those fish. I'm not trying to kill myself with maintenance and water changes. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom