Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Foxface looks stressed

So my foxface looks stressed most of the time when the lights are off. He sits behind of my hob overflow all brown and spiked up. Does anyone know if this is how they sleep?Is he really as stressed as he looks or pretty much normal? Is it bad for them like the puffer being puffed all the time?

Old 02-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mine does it too, I think it is kind of like pjs.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Does your tank still look like your avatar? if so, he's got no place to hide. I would put a lot more rock in there. At least 10 times what you have. I would recommend this also from a filtration standpoint. Your tank would be a lot more stable with more rock. Don't add the rock without cycling it in a separate container.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

He hangs out behind the rocks like this as well. My water is is prestige. O's across the board
Old 02-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmann View Post
He hangs out behind the rocks like this as well. My water is is prestige. O's across the board
Mr. X wasn't expressing concern about parameters. What he means and I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong,

Fish need places to hide, if they are stressed they like to find a nice little cave or area to call there own. Also for that size tank you really should think about more rock.

Like stated above it will aid in filtration and just make for a happier home for your fish.

Just something to think about. But 0's across the board isn't helping your stressed foxface.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

My foxface has plenty of rock to hide in. He sleeps at the top of my tank in camo on top of my mag float. I wouldn't call it stress they do that at night.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
You DEFINITELY don't have enough rock. It's not opinion. Live rock is a natural filter. Your bacteria colony which resides on surfaces is limited with the tiny bit of rock, substrate, and glass. Also, you don't have enough rock to process nitrate. I don't care what the hobby grade test kits say, but eventually, you will see the by products of not enough rock. Unless of course you do water changes like a mad man. If you plan on keeping a very low bio load, then it's not a concern, but I doubt this is the case.
we use rock because of the anaerobic zones in it that house bacteria to process nitrate to nitrogen gas which is removed from the tank at the surface. Your tank is missing this component.
I have seen all sorts of fish do all sorts of things. I'm just pointing out something I am noticing. Also, the fact that foxface are omnivorous and like to graze, I personally, would like to have a substantial amount of rock for it to graze on.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Trust in mr_X!!!
He knows!!!
Old 02-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueerfan View Post
My foxface has plenty of rock to hide in. He sleeps at the top of my tank in camo on top of my mag float. I wouldn't call it stress they do that at night.
Thanks, this is really a answer to the question I asked . If the people who have them notice this kind of behavior.

He has places to hide. And there is a little cave he hides in. I am going to add more live rock but not a ton. Probably end up having about 100-130lbs
I want a open look. And also need swimming room. I'm planning on adding a bamboo cat shark.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I asked about the behavior of the fish. Not about rock or filtration.

If I wanted to know I whether to wear polka dot shorts with a striped shirt, that's what I would have asked. But I didn't.

Thanks for you Inout

Tags
foxface, stress

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com