Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Freshwater hobbyist breeder going saltwater

Hi I have a 3 15 gallon tanks that I have used for freshwater fish breeding and I would like to try breeding saltwater fish, what do I need to start up saltwater breeding tanks?

Old 03-17-2014, 08:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have never kept saltwater fish I suggest keeping a salt tank first before you start thinking of breeding them. Everything from water chemistry to filtration and live stock is very different to fresh water. That's just my opinion though, my advice is to do plenty of research, I believe there are not many species of salt fish that can be bred in captivity but there is a couple of people on here that have bred clown fish and cardinal fish. Perhaps they can give you more info. Check out the threads on here, search for breeding and read their experiences...

Old 03-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

What would I need to start a saltwater tank?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-17-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

The only fish in sw that can be readily bred by hobbyists are clowns, cardinals and seahorses. They're all pretty difficult to breed and rear as well.
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

What you would need depends on what size tank you want and what you want to keep in it - there are many different ways to set up a salt tank. Check out the articles on here for more info, the main difference in filtration is between fish only and reef. Too much info to reply in one go I am afraid. Do some research and come back with questions
Old 03-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
What you would need depends on what size tank you want and what you want to keep in it - there are many different ways to set up a salt tank. Check out the articles on here for more info, the main difference in filtration is between fish only and reef. Too much info to reply in one go I am afraid. Do some research and come back with questions
+1 to this
I researched for 3 years before I started my first sw tank . There are tons of articles on setting up a basic fish only with live rock system out there

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ate, breed, breeder, fresh, freshwater, hob, salt, saltwater, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com