Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2011, 01:44 AM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

And yeah, there's no need for carbon unless you're removing medicines or something else from the water. Throw another sponge in there! more places for beneficial bacteria to grow.

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:19 AM   #62
Aquarium Advice Freak

im not sure where u read that hob was a nitrate factory....not the hob, but the materials inside it...the sponge,bio-balls, etc...u need to rinse it well when do your PWC...i would not add more sponge in there...i will let the bacteria to grow on the Live Rock...that is why we call it Live Rock....JMO

Old 07-13-2011, 02:45 AM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

But unless you have 2.5-3lbs of live rock for every gallon, you need extra space for more bb. Replacing the carbon with another sponge isn't going to hurt a single thing. There's a total of 5 sponges on my tank and refugium. Save the carbon for if you ever need to dose your tank, the carbon will remove meds quickly. Plus it also helps having more than 1 sponge in your filter, because then you can alternate cleaning them with every pwc without worrying about destroying your bb
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:00 AM   #64
Aquarium Advice Freak

im not sure what type of carbon are u talked about...if it was about dose your tank with carbon sources (vodka,sugar,vinegar) or VSV, i dont think u shud...carbon dose was for bacteria food sources...it multiply the bacteria in short term of period n give a good results reducing the nutrient level...but u need to understand more about it before start...but if u bought commercial carbon source such from Seachem,it can be dose according to their instructions....
btw, carbon dosing needs a good skimmer....
Old 07-13-2011, 03:14 AM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

abdhalim- I'm sorry bud but I don't think you're understanding what the topic was, we are talking about having carbon in your filter...not carbon dosing, I don't even know why someone would dose their tank with carbon. You are talking about an ammonia source, which is what the bb feeds on and converts to trites then trates... But that's another topic.......replacing carbon filter media with more sponge filter will only give you benefits, not negatives
Old 07-13-2011, 05:33 AM   #66
Aquarium Advice Freak

if u talked about the carbon filter media, then it was my fault talked about carbon dosing....
bro huma huma- yes....there are lots of successful reefer practising the carbon sources dosing in their salt water tank...im sorry if u didnt even heard that...n im not even talked about ammonia source, which i knew it will convert to nitrite then nitrates which bring your nitrate reading high...u need bacteria which will convert this extra nutrient to nitrogen...or else u need macroalgae which consume this as their food source to thrive in a tank...that is why, tank with high reading in nitrates and phosphates can give u problem with nuisane algae...btw, another commercial type of carbon source such NP biopellets, prodibio, etc which is run in a reactor...
Old 07-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottayy
And yeah, there's no need for carbon unless you're removing medicines or something else from the water. Throw another sponge in there! more places for beneficial bacteria to grow.
I disagree,you should have your water running through activated carbon 24/7.It absorbs impurities in the water and helps keep it clear whether in a HOB filter or in sump.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well I have 100 pounds or rock in there right now and at least half is live. The tanks a 100 gallon tank. So i have 1 pound of rock per gallon. We are getting more rock soon. There is carbon in there now it came with the filter but with my other tanks ( which at FW) I don't replace my carbon unless I medicate.

In a SW tank I don't know if it's necessary or not to have it replaced every month. I'm getting mixed reviews here, but there always are, I hear the same thing about fW tanks. But I never replace mine and it's clear as can be.

As for a protein skimmer, we have a HOB skimmer that is breaking in at the moment. It already pulled a bunch of nasty smelly stuff out an I'm glad to se it's working. It's an Aero Force 2. I don't know if anyone has experience with that skimmer but if you do please let me know how it works.

I think I'm going to try not replacing the carbon and see how that works for a couple months and then replace it and see if there is difference. Just to see for myself.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've run carbon in my tanks for the past 7 yrs have'nt had any problems as of yet i keep a lot of mixed corals and worry about the toxins i replace it monthly may be over kill but if it works dont fix it..
Old 07-13-2011, 01:57 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah I don't keep any carbon running in any of my tanks because it just absorbs everything, so if you dose regularly or medicate, you have to remove the carbon, imo the very small benefits of running active carbon aren't worth having to replace it evryu so often and remove it for dosing/meds....

Tags
fowlr, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com