Freshy girl wants a FOWLR Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My nitrAtes run around .5 to 10 ppm When i read your 40 ppm i thought green tank lol Some coral seem very touchy about trates my GSP's dont open if they get to 15-20 ppm. i guess there spoiled hehe

TraceyB4602 said:
What? Are you serious. No. I will not do that. I know that in both fresh and salt water you need nitrates to keep your tank cycled.

Your goal in saltwater is to have o nitrates.It shows your live rock and other type filtration system you're using is handling your bio load from your livestock and keeping your tank stable.

Well thats good to know. I will def keep them between 0-10 then. We do plan on getting corals and anemones so I guess we will have to watch them more closely.

So we just picked up our lights. We got the Aquaticlife 6 lamp T5 HO. It's sweet. Now we are all set for anemones and corals : ).

We also picked up a strawberry psuedochromis. She so cute. We named her Lola.

Just make sure you keep track of the life of your bulbs, they need replaced every 10-12 months for optimum coloring and coral health

TraceyB4602 said:
Yea that's what the booklet said too, well every 9-12 but close enough.

I see you going along good ....the nitrates on a reef should be 0 . And 20 and below on a FOWLR.....but when you have a anemone or SPS CORALS THEN THAT Water has to be on point.
If you are using any sponge then it should be cleaned every 2-3 days more then that and your nitrates will be high.
I use a refugium with chaeto and my nitrates have been at 0, but had a brake out of cyano bacteria and took out the chaeto and it went back up to 20:-(
So when it comes to filtration keep it as natural as possible. It really helps :)

We just did a water change and cleaned out the sponge last night, its much clearer now.

Were going to build a sump when we get the money which will probably be soon, all our extra money goes into the tanks lol and this is our newest so it's getting all the extra money.

We have it on a metal stand at the moment so next week we will be ordering a stand from foster's so it will look amazing and hide all the tank stuff we don't want to see.

If any one is wondering about the ghost shrimp question I have one that is still living and it's been 2-3 days in the SW lol.

Haha ghost shrimp in sw.....they wouldn't last 5 minutes in mine. Literally. I've put 2 in my aggressive sw tank.. One made it 2 minutes I believe, the other, about 15 seconds lol

Back
Top Bottom