From reef to FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bizzybeas

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had a reef set up for 3 years. After about a year I got a bad case of cyano when my skimmer broke. I tried everything and it is still not completely gone. I slowly gave back my coral to the store because they were not happy.

Anyway, what I have left is a 65 gallon tank with live sand, plenum, 80# of live rock, a remora pro skimmer and actinic lights. I used to have MH's but I no longer turn them on.
I have some hermits left (a few big ones) a bicolor blenny, a royal gramma (like 4 inches...incredible), a dotty back (psuedochromis) and a six line wrasse. Keeping fish is old hat to me I previously has a fish only for 5 years. That was in the old days before live rock.

I would like to get everything back in line before considering any livestock additions. All levels are fine. What type of lighting would you suggest? I do not want anything complicated because I am in a frustrated state with this hobby.

Any chemical suggestions to rid of the cyano? Should I tear it all down and start over?

Try removing as much as you can by siphoning with a toothbrush attached to the hose. And limit your lighting for awhile, along with frequent PWC's.

Are you using RO/DI water?

What are your phosphate readings?

What type of lighting do you have now?
Cyno needs food which is phosphates so test and post numbers..
Low flow also allows it to grow fast and old bulbs can change light spectrium which also helps it grow.
Like Ryan asks what type of water do you use.

I agree kill the source first! However to get a jump start I used Chemi-clean. It is amazing stuff. I wouldn't use it to fight cyano on a regular basis. But when I killed the fuel source with RO DI and smaller feedings coupled with this it was gone and done. Also It is harmful to filter feeders and some people think it is harmful to other things? I hope someone can add on here with any other warnings (I didnt see any harful effects mind you).

Back
Top Bottom