from Reef to FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonSolo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello All,

I'm not new to SW aquariums however I am new to FOWLR tanks. In the past I've always done reefs, however this time I want to concentrate mainly on inverts and smaller fish (ie Clowns & Dwarf Angels). I have questions regarding the differences between the two. Further to give you an idea of what I will be using (or have so far), I listed my set-up below.

Set-up so far:
Basic Aquarium Light (boo!)
46 gallon Bow-Front
4.5" DSB
60# of Marshall Island LR
Aqua-C Remora Protein Skimmer
Numerous Powerheads at my disposal

Questions:
1. Are there any water parameters that are different from a reef and a FOWLR?
2. What is the suggested amount of wattage of light per gallon of water I should have?
3. Does anyone think I will need additional filtration from what I have already? (i.e. mechanical AquaClear HOB)
4. Would a HOB refuge be benecial for this tank?
5. What is the suggested flow rate for a FOWLR tank of this size?
6. Lastly, is a wavemaker benecial/required for this type of set-up as well?

Many Thanks in Advance,
Jon Solo

1. Generally, PWCs will replenish the depleted elements in your tank, so you really shouldn't have to dose, as you would if your coral "bio-load" is high.
2. Wattage is not as important to most fish and inverts (shrimp, snails and such). So you could go with a basic set up.
3. 1.5-2Lbs per gallon is suggested for proper bio filtration, if you have that, you can go filterless. I use my filter for extra water movement and to run carbon, if needed.
4. I don't have one, but the more water you can get, the better. You can also use the fuge as a pod producer and keep macro algae in there to help filter your water and remove additional nutrience.
5. I believe the flow rate starts around 5x (correct me if I am wrong). I believe flow rate in a FOWLR is more for the fish's health and water movement, to prevent dead spots and also surface ripple for a stable pH.
6. Not really, IMO.

One thing to add, that sandbed might be a little too deep (this of course is an opinion). Mine is anywhere from 2-3 inches in spots. If you get too deep of a sandbed, you could have problems with noxtious gas pockets.
I would wait for some other people's experiences.

Back
Top Bottom