Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2004, 08:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Frusterated with live rock, think of going canister instead.

I am frusterated finding live rock, and am getting down to a time that I need to get things going so I am thinking that I may just go ahead and buy a canister filter to go purely FO.

Some of you will allready know my specifics, but I am running a 30 gallon, prizm skimmer, aquaclear 200 just for the mech. filt. with carbon, and well as a maxijet 900 powerhead. I was wondering what my best/lowest cost canister that would keep that stuff alive for a little while would be. (Haha no I want success, just joking with the alive bit). I am thinking a fluval 202 303 or 404, but was wondering what the minimum would be for say a few yellow tail blue damsels and two clarkii clowns would be. And no I am not cycling with them, I will use the raw shrimp method.

So, any advice is great but keep cost in mind please.

Here is what I have now...

29 gal tank
aquaclear 200
prizm skimmer
maxijet 900 powerhead
100W (maybe 150W) heater, but heating isnt a prob
1.5 inches of crushed coral
some decoration stuff including a couple peices of old dried coral.) Not sure if it is real to be honest...
Crappy lights that I am going to rebuild, just for come flourescents
excited_newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 08:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well...the thing is that most of your filtration will come from your sand bed if its at least 4inches deep. Not only does it have aerobic bacteria, but it also has the anerobic. Aerobic break down ammonia and trites...ANerobic breaks down trates. If you have a 4inch sand bed, plenty of infauna, power heads, a heater, and a skimmer, you should be good to go. There is far more bacteria on the sand than there ever could be on LR. There is simply more surface area.

Squishy

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 08:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Awesome well I have about an inch and a half of crushed coral but it is not a huge tank so I do not want to make it that deep and take away from the overall amount of water but I do have some sand at home here that I will test (vinegar) to see if it is aragonite (sp?) and maybe add some of it. So should I still strap on a small fluval or just add more sand and hope for the best?

29 gal tank
aquaclear 200
prizm skimmer
maxijet 900 powerhead
some decoration stuff including a couple peices of old dried coral.) Not sure if it is real to be honest...
Old 04-08-2004, 09:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well...the problem that your going to run into initially is that the sand is dead...not live. personally...I would cure the sand in a rubber maid tub for a week or so, remove all of the CC and replace it with the cured sand. It shouldnt be a "hope for the best" situation. A DSB is a viable filtration system that is proven to work.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
Old 04-08-2004, 09:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, why can't I leave the CC?

And I am not going to put any fish in for a little while, so could I just put the sand in and cycle right in the tank? Killing two birds with one stone so to speak.

Also would it be easier if I added a biowheel, even though they have a bad reputation?

29 gal tank
aquaclear 200
prizm skimmer
maxijet 900 powerhead
Old 04-08-2004, 09:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Or a cheap eheim (lol not sure if there is such a thing). A deep sand bed sounds like a good idea but I want to get the show on the road. And sorry for the minor decrease in patience but I have been patient for the past 6 months.

29 gal tank
aquaclear 200
prizm skimmer
maxijet 900 powerhead
Old 04-08-2004, 09:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Or how does 3 inches sound with more built up in the back corners?
Sry bout the three seperate posts, ideas are coming slow today.

29 gal tank
aquaclear 200
prizm skimmer
maxijet 900 powerhead
Old 04-08-2004, 09:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think that i will just go canister, any ideas on the cheapest best canister for my situation?

29 gal tank
aquaclear 200
prizm skimmer
maxijet 900 powerhead
Old 04-08-2004, 09:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL...that was fun to watch your thought processes. Fluvals are good. DSb is better. 4 inches minimum. I understand your impatience after 6 months....

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
Old 04-08-2004, 09:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well today has been a long day, and that is all I will say on the matter. And you bet I am getting a bit antsy after so long. I will tell you this: If this was a personal tank I would save up my money and go DSB and lots a LR, the whole deal, but this is a school thing and there are only a few months left of school...

I think that I will chat with the petland guy and see if he would give me a fluval at cost if I got my teacher to do up a little letter for him or whatever. Stupid big als offered me 10% and I can get most of the stuff elsewhere for more than 10% less. lol.

Anyways hiho, hiho, off to spend more school money I go. I am thinking a fluval 204 or maybe 304...

Whatever at this point. I must admit that it took restraint not to throw in a few damsels and just replace the bast***s when they die. lol. No I am too much an animal lover.

29 gal tank
aquaclear 200
prizm skimmer
maxijet 900 powerhead

Tags
canister, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com