fuge question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neon_hybrid

Aquarium Advice Regular
I already have a wet dry, but want to know if a fuge that holds about 6 galons of water is enough for a 55 gallon tank. I mainly am using it to grow pods for my mandrin goby... What do you think?

a mandarin needs 50+ lbs of live rock per fish to supply enough pods for it to survive (assuming it won't acclimate to any ofter food sources)

a 6 gallon fuge isn't going to be enough in my opinion.

Hi all ,hers a stupid question but I have to ask only because im sill leaning about salt water ,what is a fuge tank for and why do you need or have to have one?

I already have 60 lbs of live rock in my display tank. I am trying to add more pods to the tank, and to promote pod growth in my fuge, and I plan on adding about another 10 to 15 lbs of live rock to the fuge, and a 4 inch live sand bed. This fuge is not going to be the only source of pods, just an additional source. Now knowing that, will a 6 gallon fuge be ok to help add additional pods?

mercury64- a fuge serves several purposes. It adds total water volume to the system making it more stable. It is a place to grow macro algae for nutrient export. You can have a DSB to aid in denitrification. It can be used to house harassed fish or problem inverts. It is a predator free zone for pods to breed and grow(free live food). It can also be used to store unsightly equipment such as heaters, protien skimmers etc.

Back
Top Bottom