Fully submerge or No?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KSum89

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got in my eheim jager today. Should i fully submerge it into my sump horizontally, it wont fit vertical.. Huge heater. It says fully submergable and i have been researching it, i havent ran across any problems others had with it!

-side note: i did have a aqueon pro, but it exploded in. It was fully submerged horizontally in my sump. I had all my livestock live (FOWLR) but my GBTA died during that incident.

image-1336793369.jpg

KSum89 said:
I just got in my eheim jager today. Should i fully submerge it into my sump horizontally, it wont fit vertical.. Huge heater. It says fully submergable and i have been researching it, i havent ran across any problems others had with it!

-side note: i did have a aqueon pro, but it exploded in. It was fully submerged horizontally in my sump. I had all my livestock live (FOWLR) but my GBTA died during that incident.

Actually horizontal is not recommended. Ive gone through many heaters over the years and jagers are highly reliable. However any heater when fully submersed is susceptible and liable to leak. This usually happens at the top seal, unless the glass/quartz is cracked.

Saltwater over time will take its toll on even the toughest heater. If possible i always suggest keeping the top exposed. This will also help prevent any toxic leaks into your tank as long as the glass is intact.

In either case the longest lifespan i give my heaters is 2 years. No matter the condition they are replaced. Heaters are the leading cause of a tank catastrophe and i try to avoid it at all costs.

Yes you can fully submerge it, however i think you will have better long term reliability if you dont. However since you already have the heater and it wont fit vertical then use it horizontal. Just re sure it doesn't get hit with any falling rocks etc. and keep an eye on it over time for leaks like any heater.

. I have it vertical right now in the display.. Just waiting on replies if i should place it in sump or not. I like to keep everything i can out of the display, and it will only fit horizontal if placed in my sump. I only have a few rocks in my sump so no rock slides or anything will happen. If i keep it vertical in my display , its like 4 inches away from the DSB in my display.

KSum89 said:
. I have it vertical right now in the display.. Just waiting on replies if i should place it in sump or not. I like to keep everything i can out of the display, and it will only fit horizontal if placed in my sump. I only have a few rocks in my sump so no rock slides or anything will happen. If i keep it vertical in my display , its like 4 inches away from the DSB in my display.

You will be able to keep it in your sump, just ensure it is in a high flow area and that it can maintain the display temp.

Back
Top Bottom