Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2014, 12:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Fuzzy dwarf lionfish

Quick question guys. I'm thinking and interested in getting a fuzzy dwarf lionfish for a while now but concern about my current livestock. Currently I have purple tang and foxface with some cerith snails, hermit crabs, one blood shrimp and two cleaner shrimp. Will my livestock be ok or will the dwarf lionfish will have a costly meal? Also I have roughly around 75-8llbs of live rocks in my 75g with 29g sump.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

In general, lionfish will eat whatever can fit in their mouth. It shouldn't go after the foxface since it has its own poison defenses. I've seen lionfish go after tangs from time to time, but not eat them. It's still going to be hit or miss.

The 75g is a bit small for a foxface or purple tang tbh. They need a 125g, 6' tank IME.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the info but the purple tang I got it from my dad since he no longer want to keep saltwater but I'm waiting on my friend to finish setting up his reef tank and the tang will be happy going to a bigger home. I talked to my lfs he said it should be fine as long as it got swimming space and watch what fish I plan to stock up. I'm just worried about my inverts, mainly about the shrimp
Old 01-11-2014, 12:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Correction: I was referring to my foxface when the lfs guy said it should be fine and also live aquaria recommends at least 70 gallons on their website and that's what made my final decision to getting foxface and he seems happy right now and healthy
Old 01-11-2014, 01:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khmer86 View Post
Correction: I was referring to my foxface when the lfs guy said it should be fine and also live aquaria recommends at least 70 gallons on their website and that's what made my final decision to getting foxface and he seems happy right now and healthy
Ah I'm sorry. For some reason I thought you mentioned you have a Foxface Lo. You must have one of the smaller foxfaces.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:56 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes the one spot foxface. But I've been doing some research on it and most say dwarf lionfish wouldn't eat cleaner shrimp. It's a hard decision because I been eyeballing lionfish for a while lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2616641335.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	216108
Old 01-11-2014, 01:59 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Here's a front view of how my setup are. I may end up doing another aquascaping tomorrow but I'm not sure how I want it to be. And I hope with that much amount of liverocks will be suitable for dwarf lionfish
Old 01-11-2014, 02:00 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Here are the picture

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3211387045.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	216109

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com