Garibaldi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if illegal since the store can get them and had one and the play by the rules so.....

Hmm yeah idk looked and u might need a special permit? Not sure but will look more into it.

Fish madness said:
Not sure if illegal since the store can get them and had one and the play by the rules so.....

I wish i knew more about it :/ i would definitly research it if i were you though, make sure its all good becore you think about getting one :p

I think that there is something in CA, but think it is more that you can't catch them. I've seen them as juveniles in stores a couple times. they start small and look totally different. They get huge and extremely aggressive as they grow. The horror stories that you hear with damsels being nasty will pale in comparison. I'd go 300g+.

Alright yeah that is what I though. I just seen one at aquarium depot and was gonna get it but the owner wanted to keep it.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
You live in california?? Then as far as i know its illegal.

Either way... Some fish should just stay in the ocean, and this fish is definitly one of them IMO.

Agree 100% ... Calif state fish,..illegal to catch,possess,harass etc,.,big time fines !!!!...( in calif)...kinda like keeping a bald eagle in a chicken coop.......far better " domesticated " fish to keep in a aquarium.

Last edited:
has a 125 lister for garibaldi. However it's a nasty fish. Honestly I'd probably do a few tangs like a purple, hippo, Lt. Tang just to not have fear for my other livestock with a garibaldi.

Or maybe mix some tangs and angels

Mr. D said:
has a 125 lister for garibaldi. However it's a nasty fish. Honestly I'd probably do a few tangs like a purple, hippo, Lt. Tang just to not have fear for my other livestock with a garibaldi.

Or maybe mix some tangs and angels

LA's tank size that is

For five me for my ignorance but what is la's tank size and yeah those will be some nice ones. In your opinion do u think the blue face angel or emperor angel will survive with this guy too?

I read a bit and you need a special permit from the Department of Fish and Game to take or hold them in CA. Places like Aquarium of the Pacific have one. I'm guessing they won't give permits to the average aquarist.

They are very territorial and aggressive, so even if a site somewhere says they are okay in a smaller tank, I would assume that is as a juvenile and probably without other fish. They end up being extra large damsels with extra large attitudes and hyper-territorial. The adults will attack divers, so I'm not sure I'd put them with any fish. If you have ever snorkeled/dived around these guys, you would probably have a good idea of why they are better left in the wild.

It's just like ca to restrict people from having what they want. Doesn't really matter to me if u have to have a permit lol what they don't know won't hurt them lmao. Already got pets I'm not supposed to have but hey I live the strange and weird creatures.

Personally I wouldn't want one but he might beat them up

Fish madness said:
It's just like ca to restrict people from having what they want. Doesn't really matter to me if u have to have a permit lol what they don't know won't hurt them lmao. Already got pets I'm not supposed to have but hey I live the strange and weird creatures.

No its the state fish. It shouldnt be in an aquarium. End of story IMO. I dont even want to know the other pets you have..

Well nu nu I didn't post what I have so no need to chime in on petty opinions. Lmao.

Well the problem is this forum is pretty adherent to ethical fishkeeping, which would probably include obeying the laws regarding catching or keeping this fish.

Each to their own, but I don't think one would get support for saying such a thing on this forum. ( I am not judging, just stating why people might have an adverse reaction to your statement. )

EDIT| I should be a politician.

Ya lets go kill someone and if we can get away with it then it's ok. It is a law. I would really just not do it and avoid the risk of possibly being fined a lot of money. Also it would be the only fish in the tank, no matter of you added other fish or not because it would kill them.

I would think that the fish store and supplier would get fined for supplying these fish. Clearly not a shop they does things by the book as was previously mentioned. Not too sharp if they are willing to risk big trouble to sell an illegal fish for no profit.

Sounds like you are willing to get it anyways, so I would talk to your LFS about what they suggest for tank mates. Big Angels are expensive (even at wholesale) and it does not sound like they will do well with such an aggressive fish. Even small (typical damsel size), they are going to cause trouble worse than a typical damsel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom