getting algae off glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have some algae on the front and sides of my tank I'd like to get off but the magnetic scrubber and the regular algae cleaner aren't removing it.

How to get it off?

I don't mind algae on the rocks and back of the tank but I just don't want it on the front and sides. Should I get some more nassarius snails? I heard they are good at cleaning the glass.

Right now my clean up crew consists of 2 nassarius snails, 1 turbo snail, and 1 large hermit crab.

It is dark green, yes.
Some are circular spots, others are more like a slime look.

It doesn't matter what it is.. lol. I don't want it on the front or sides of the glass.

I read on google to get a razor blade and scrape it off.

I got 5 little horned nerite snails from severum mama and those things just motor through algae like there's no tomorrow.

The algae scrubber I have is basically a single blade razor. Do you want a link?

I get a green algea growth on my glass also i used a kitchen sponge and it worked wonderfully

I have an acrylic tank and Mr Clean Magic Eraser works great. Just make sure to get the plain ones.

Those are all magnificent ideas.
I actually think it's coralline growing in some spots. I'll just try to keep it on the rocks and back of the tank haha.

I use an old credit card. I know a couple others here do to. It wont scratch the glass and wont rust.

Coralline starts off green, then turns purple/pink. So it could be coralline.

If its slime the magnetic (mag float type) will take it off. The coraline will prob have to be scraped off with a blade.

I used the algae scrubber sponge and applied a lot of pressure and got most of it off of the glass.

It felt kind of rough to the touch, not soft. Like touching sandpaper. There was some slime stuff on the back, too. Brownish slime.. that was easy to get off.

I guess if the only place I want algae to grow is on the rocks.. I've got a lot of cleaning to do regularly lol.

Or is coralline algae and all other types of algae a different thing to have growing? Is it possible to have coralline on the rocks with a minimal amount of the "bad" algae?

i noticed atleast for me it started in stages first i had a problem with brown algae on my glass then it was green now they burned off and its just coralline

Back
Top Bottom