Getting back into salt after a long hiatus to fresh-advice requested

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also just ordered API master test kit, nano 240gph powerhead, instant ocean salt(160gallon tub), and a refractometer.

Ideally like to add another powerhead but want to see how crowded the tank is after I find a protein skimmer, I don't want it too cluttered and being fowlr not reef I'm thinking I can skimp on the water flow a little, I'd guess with the canister going I'm still close to 400gph...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Still haven't found a skimmer that fits the budget that indicates it would actually work, so I think that is going to be on hold for a little while.

One additional question(for now!), will two tetra 100w submersible heaters be sufficient for my 40gallon tank? They said they were rated for 10-30 gallons each and maintain 78 +- 2 degrees. For some reason with my salt tank years ago I seem to remember having to get the temp at 80 or above and it requiring some fiddling...I could be thinking of something else though too.

Today I plan to set up my rodi, get some dry rock and sand(either live or dead depending on price), and get this thing started.

Proposed order of operation:
Put in dry rock
Fill 1/4-1/3 full of saltwater mix.
Put sand in
Put remaining water in
Add dead shrimp
Wait 2-3 weeks, do 50% water change.
Buy a few small pieces of actual live rock to add
Once ammonia and nitrite spike end add clean up crew
One month after clean up crew add first fish.

Thoughts?

The process has started! Found 30lbs of love rock locally to get started, one 20lb bag of live sand and two ten pound bags of aquarium sand.

Also found out that my tank is actually a 29 gallon, could have sworn it was a 40 but such is life.

Going to take a different approach with cycling now that I have live sand and rock, and just use some fish food(lots) to get a more gentle ammonia spike and not kill off all my good stuff! Figure in 2-3 weeks may be able to add a small clean up crew and hopefully be adding my first fish by the end of sept. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405895951.856203.jpg

Don't add any inverts until after you start to add fish, they won't have anything to eat in a new tank. Did you take rock from the ocean? I'm pretty sure you are not allowed to do that and could have loads of nasties!

Not the ocean, craigslist from someone who was taking apart their 125 gallon :).

I thought a cuc was necessary to help get rid of the algae etc?

Nope, I don't keep any 'clean up crew' because I don't like them. I used to have a conch when I had a sandbed but not anymore. If you get crabs and snails too many to soon you'll have to feed them. Like any stocking go slow ;)

Is like a couple shrimp and hermits. My kids will get a kick out of them too. I have an approximately two inch sand bed so something is going to have to agitate and clean it :)

Tank has been up and running for about six days now. Originally just started with live rock and sand to cycle and have now added about a 1" piece of shrimp as well 2 days ago. So far my ammonia has not increased at all from the day after set up, reads between .25 and .5. No nitrates, and just recently a very very small hint of nitrate.

Shouldn't I be getting a ammonia and nitrite spike by now?

Back
Top Bottom