Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Getting back into salt after a long hiatus to fresh-advice requested

It has been over 10 years since I last attempted(and failed) at a salt tank. I'm going to give it a go this time with a totally different setup from my recent turtle tank.

Plans: FOWLR, unsure of fish but the kids have requested a black and white clown and a couple of hermit crabs. Aside from that wrasses, long noses, and flame angels are my favorite but not sure what will fit best in the tank.

Setup:
40 gallon tank
Fluval 206 canister filter
2 power heads(need input here please)
Live rock-thinking 20-30lbs, thoughts?
Two submersible tank heaters
Standard halogen "aquatic grow light"
May drill the hood and add a couple of LEDs if I get ambitious.

Planning on cycling the tank using live rock and a dead shrimp, is there a faster way available now?

Appreciate the tips,

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I personally wouldn't use a canister filter, if the tank is empty I would set it up and run a sump. If not I kept a 55 for years with a couple of powerheads and a protein skimmer. I'd also check that light out, if it's designed for freshwater the only thing it may grow is loads of unwanted algae!

Old 07-07-2014, 08:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Welcome back to the salty side . For power heads there are lots if options, for a fowlr I'd probably stick to the korillias though (2 of the 425s should be ok 600s would probably be better) or there are much more controllable units out there (jaebo and ecotechs for example) that have some cool features. I would aim more for 40 lbs on the rock, but it doesn't have to be live, dry rock or man made base rocks are much cheaper and will become live over the cycle. You can get a small piece with coralline to seed that in the tank if you'd like. As for cycling I still use your planned method, I don't mind the wait and find it starts you off with a healthy bb pop. Hope this helps, and good luck feel free to come back with more questions we love to help.

Edit: and +1 on the canister, I'd rather use an aqua clear 110 IMHO.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:04 PM   #4

Problem with the hob filters is I literally have about 1"between the tank and the wall as I custom built this stand to be used with a canister filter....will the canister work or am I totally fudged trying to use that?

I will check on the light, algae is definitely not my friend!

At least the long cycle will help teach my youngsters(and me!) some patience...

Old 07-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

No worries, the canister would work but it will need regular (weekly) cleaning. When I had the 55 with just the powerheads and skimmer I used a tunze in-tank skimmer because the tank wasn't drilled. It was a good system for me but most people prefer some kind of mechanical filtration as well.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:14 PM   #6

Should I remove some of the filter media out of the canister and fill with bio balls or equivalent? What about breaking up a bunch of dry media?

Cleaning the filter weekly sounds like a bit of a chore to keep up on regularly, but then again I could just get into a routine. Would slipping a small sock over the intake tube help?

Just trying to get creative with what I've got . My understanding is that nitrates will build up excessively in the media is that correct? Any other issues with the canister? It was a godsend with my turtle tank as it actually allowed me to keep the tank clean....

Old 07-07-2014, 11:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Weekly maintenance is almost mandatory on a salt tank anyway with water changes so if you're doing that then do the canister at the same time. Check out some of the articles on here about salt water maintenance and upkeep, there are many differences between salt and fresh (forgive me I've never kept freshwater fish) and I believe that the reason why canisters are great for fresh and not so for salt is because of the way the beneficial bacteria live. In salt the BB live in your live rock and sand and canisters can trap nitrates (bad - hence regular cleaning) I believe the good BB in fresh live in the canister but I could be wrong! Perhaps someone who knows a bit about both can clarify?

Old 07-08-2014, 08:19 AM   #8

Ok thanks! So I've researched protein skimmers a bit, and they all seem to need a sump. Is there a smaller skimmer that I could put inside the tank and just hide with some live rock or decorations?

Old 07-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #9

I.e. Something like this:

Aqua Medic Miniflotor Internal Protein Skimmer
Product Code: RAB20247
Our Price: $52.99

Old 07-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Reef octopus and eshopps both make great hob skimmers

Tags
advice, fresh, long, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com