Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
George9's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,765
Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Sounds like QT is in order to starve the parasite by the absence of hosts.
That's what I was thinking. These things are so annoying.

Do you know how long I should leave the main tank fishless?
__________________

__________________
-George
George9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #82
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by George9 View Post

That's what I was thinking. These things are so annoying.

Do you know how long I should leave the main tank fishless?
If you said the life cycle was 4 weeks, I would do in excess of that, say 6 weeks. I don't think flukes can infect invertebrates and create carriers like ICH can.
__________________

__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
George9's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,765
Send a message via Yahoo to George9
I think the life cycle is a week actually, then the lay eggs before they die. Then the eggs hatch in 2-4 days, and when they can't find a host they die.

I think ill do 3-4 weeks
__________________
-George
George9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #84
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
George9's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,765
Send a message via Yahoo to George9
I'm gonna wait a few days and see what happens. I have a hard time believing the flukes are still there after this many prazi treatments spaced apart. He isn't scratching, it's possible there was something in the water like a little bit of chlorine, so I added some prime. he hasn't twitched since, but who knows
__________________
-George
George9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #85
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by George9 View Post
I'm gonna wait a few days and see what happens. I have a hard time believing the flukes are still there after this many prazi treatments spaced apart. He isn't scratching, it's possible there was something in the water like a little bit of chlorine, so I added some prime. he hasn't twitched since, but who knows
The prime shouldn't hurt anything and it may sooth his slime coating.
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
George9's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,765
Send a message via Yahoo to George9
I hope so. I just don't wanna jump into things too fast and it turns out that he doesn't have what I thought it was.

Going too fast was what caused these issues in the first place. Agh
__________________
-George
George9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #87
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by George9 View Post
I hope so. I just don't wanna jump into things too fast and it turns out that he doesn't have what I thought it was.

Going too fast was what caused these issues in the first place. Agh
We chant that constantly, but we live in a world of fast food. You can't control nature at gun point, or with lots of money. That's why I love it. Many of the most successful aquarists on this forum aren't rich, or even trained in biology. Mr_X and I grow corals in $40 rubber tubs. It doesn't have to be fancy to work, but it has to have time to settle in. Everyone who sticks with it and is patient slowly recognizes how it's done. And it's pretty easy once you get past all the dis-information and get your own routine established.
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #88
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
George9's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,765
Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
We chant that constantly, but we live in a world of fast food. You can't control nature at gun point, or with lots of money. That's why I love it. Many of the most successful aquarists on this forum aren't rich, or even trained in biology. Mr_X and I grow corals in $40 rubber tubs. It doesn't have to be fancy to work, but it has to have time to settle in. Everyone who sticks with it and is patient slowly recognizes how it's done. And it's pretty easy once you get past all the dis-information and get your own routine established.
Exactly. I have had the worst luck of anyone it seems with disease and parasites. But, I'm learning from it all! And hey, if I'm keeping a butterfly alive, I must be doing okay. lol

I watched the fish for a while today, I didn't see the butterfly twitch again, which I think is a good thing. Maybe it was just a random thing unrelated, who knows. I'm still gonna be on my guard though.

I mentioned the angel had HLLE (from carbon dust, I believe. A while back i didn't rinse my chemi pure enough and the tank turned black. I'm thinking there was some black stuff still left inside the rocks and that's how she got it). but the HLLE has gotten worse since she hasn't eaten. Could it be a possible cause of her not eating?
__________________
-George
George9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by George9 View Post

Exactly. I have had the worst luck of anyone it seems with disease and parasites. But, I'm learning from it all! And hey, if I'm keeping a butterfly alive, I must be doing okay. lol

I watched the fish for a while today, I didn't see the butterfly twitch again, which I think is a good thing. Maybe it was just a random thing unrelated, who knows. I'm still gonna be on my guard though.

I mentioned the angel had HLLE (from carbon dust, I believe. A while back i didn't rinse my chemi pure enough and the tank turned black. I'm thinking there was some black stuff still left inside the rocks and that's how she got it). but the HLLE has gotten worse since she hasn't eaten. Could it be a possible cause of her not eating?
Sure, anything that makes then feel ill or stressed stops them from feeding, just like us.
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #90
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
George9's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,765
Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Sure, anything that makes then feel ill or stressed stops them from feeding, just like us.
That could be a possibility then, either way I think she's done for.

If only I can just drain the tank and start fresh :/ uncertainty is so much more stressful than knowing what the problem is
__________________

__________________
-George
George9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.