Getting pissed off- angelfish on hunger strike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's what I was thinking. These things are so annoying.

Do you know how long I should leave the main tank fishless?

If you said the life cycle was 4 weeks, I would do in excess of that, say 6 weeks. I don't think flukes can infect invertebrates and create carriers like ICH can.

I think the life cycle is a week actually, then the lay eggs before they die. Then the eggs hatch in 2-4 days, and when they can't find a host they die.

I think ill do 3-4 weeks

I'm gonna wait a few days and see what happens. I have a hard time believing the flukes are still there after this many prazi treatments spaced apart. He isn't scratching, it's possible there was something in the water like a little bit of chlorine, so I added some prime. he hasn't twitched since, but who knows

I'm gonna wait a few days and see what happens. I have a hard time believing the flukes are still there after this many prazi treatments spaced apart. He isn't scratching, it's possible there was something in the water like a little bit of chlorine, so I added some prime. he hasn't twitched since, but who knows

The prime shouldn't hurt anything and it may sooth his slime coating.

I hope so. I just don't wanna jump into things too fast and it turns out that he doesn't have what I thought it was.

Going too fast was what caused these issues in the first place. Agh

I hope so. I just don't wanna jump into things too fast and it turns out that he doesn't have what I thought it was.

Going too fast was what caused these issues in the first place. Agh

We chant that constantly, but we live in a world of fast food. You can't control nature at gun point, or with lots of money. That's why I love it. Many of the most successful aquarists on this forum aren't rich, or even trained in biology. Mr_X and I grow corals in $40 rubber tubs. It doesn't have to be fancy to work, but it has to have time to settle in. Everyone who sticks with it and is patient slowly recognizes how it's done. And it's pretty easy once you get past all the dis-information and get your own routine established.

Last edited:
We chant that constantly, but we live in a world of fast food. You can't control nature at gun point, or with lots of money. That's why I love it. Many of the most successful aquarists on this forum aren't rich, or even trained in biology. Mr_X and I grow corals in $40 rubber tubs. It doesn't have to be fancy to work, but it has to have time to settle in. Everyone who sticks with it and is patient slowly recognizes how it's done. And it's pretty easy once you get past all the dis-information and get your own routine established.

Exactly. I have had the worst luck of anyone it seems with disease and parasites. But, I'm learning from it all! And hey, if I'm keeping a butterfly alive, I must be doing okay. lol

I watched the fish for a while today, I didn't see the butterfly twitch again, which I think is a good thing. Maybe it was just a random thing unrelated, who knows. I'm still gonna be on my guard though.

I mentioned the angel had HLLE (from carbon dust, I believe. A while back i didn't rinse my chemi pure enough and the tank turned black. I'm thinking there was some black stuff still left inside the rocks and that's how she got it). but the HLLE has gotten worse since she hasn't eaten. Could it be a possible cause of her not eating?

Exactly. I have had the worst luck of anyone it seems with disease and parasites. But, I'm learning from it all! And hey, if I'm keeping a butterfly alive, I must be doing okay. lol

I watched the fish for a while today, I didn't see the butterfly twitch again, which I think is a good thing. Maybe it was just a random thing unrelated, who knows. I'm still gonna be on my guard though.

I mentioned the angel had HLLE (from carbon dust, I believe. A while back i didn't rinse my chemi pure enough and the tank turned black. I'm thinking there was some black stuff still left inside the rocks and that's how she got it). but the HLLE has gotten worse since she hasn't eaten. Could it be a possible cause of her not eating?

Sure, anything that makes then feel ill or stressed stops them from feeding, just like us.

Sure, anything that makes then feel ill or stressed stops them from feeding, just like us.

That could be a possibility then, either way I think she's done for.

If only I can just drain the tank and start fresh :/ uncertainty is so much more stressful than knowing what the problem is

That could be a possibility then, either way I think she's done for.

If only I can just drain the tank and start fresh :/ uncertainty is so much more stressful than knowing what the problem is

When there are too many variables, pause and consider your actions. Doing nothing could be as important as doing anything. Fish die of many different causes and you can jump from the frying pan into the fire as they say. If in doubt, do a water exchange.

I'm not sure that the HLLE is from carbon dust. The research that possibly linked HLLE to carbon was saying that the use of carbon might be filtering out something that certain fish need to thrive. While there are several theories out there on HLLE causes, I feel that most cases can be tied back to poor nutrition, stress (ex:tangs in too small tanks) or poor water quality. That's been the case for almost every case I have seen or read about on various forums.

Hmm, well my water quality is pretty good (0,0,10) and the tank is definitely big enough for a tiny fish like her. But, it's possible she's not getting the veggies she needs. I put some dried seaweed in each day, but she only picks at it, I never see her actually swallow it. Plus, the butterfly hogs it all and goes crazy with it.

Maybe since she's so small, she can't get enough veggies from what I put on the clip. I'm gonna hold off on another angel until my tank is pretty well established.

I don't see any fluke symptoms today, so I guess yesterday it was some random twitch I guess. his breathing is normal too, he only breathes fast when I'm around because he gets all excited.

My angels just pick at nori. They like the solid proteins in my case. They pick at the rocks constantly, but the nori doesn't excite them.

Nls pellets have a decent amount of algae and spirulina in them . There are also plenty of algae based foods of the frozen variety you can mix in if your still worried . My elibi won't touch the nori on the clip but it's probably too worried about the emperor going at him . The emp on the other hand will eat a whole sheet of nori in 5 minutes .

My tangs swamp the nori clip. I broadcast spirullina flakes so other veggie eaters get fed.
I've just started using spirulina flake as my friends been using it and says his fish look better but he's got hippo tang that's looks ill, it's bottom half has lost colour and can see its ribs.

The angel is still alive :) still not eating though, her HLLE has gotten progressively worse because of it, but she's hanging in there.

Also, I need some advice on the fluke treatment with prazi, because they're still not gone.

I decided to try more prazi since everyone says it works great. I know I've been getting the timing wrong. I plan on treating for 5 days, do a water change, then wait 4 days, then treat again. I'm the past, I've waited 5-7 days between rounds and that obviously hasn't worked. What do you think?

Try putting a fresh Broccoli floweret on a clip he/she may nip at it and start eating put some fresh crushed garlic in the broccoli floweret only use fresh so there's no additives
have you tried live brine shrimp to entice the fish to eat

She still hasnt eaten anything! But she must be eating something is been just under a month now

Back
Top Bottom