Getting pissed off- angelfish on hunger strike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys

My flame angel hasn't eaten since Thursday and I'm super worried about her! Usually she's the first to pick at the seaweed, but she hasn't touched it. She's also hiding a lot more.

My butterflyfish has never had a better appetite than now, and they're pretty sensitive so if it was something wrong with the water, he'd show symptoms too I'm guessing.

Params are 0, 0, 10.

I'm not sure what to do. This hunger strike was random, she looks at the food like she wants to eat it, but never makes the move. she has mild HLLE too so if I can't get some healthy foods in her, then she's doomed.

Anyone have a similar experience?

My flame angel always liked mysis shrimp. Maybe try that

Try Brine shrimp, all my fish love it but I don't feed it all time just as treat. Adding some kind of garlic help fuzzy eaters

Still nothing today :( I tried nori and brine. She's more active today though, maybe it's a good sign. Hopefully tomorrow. It's been about 5-6 days

It's probably a parasite of some sort. Not sure but that odd behavior can be cause u introduced a new more aggressive fish to the tank. Did u add a new member to your aquarium?

It's probably a parasite of some sort. Not sure but that odd behavior can be cause u introduced a new more aggressive fish to the tank. Did u add a new member to your aquarium?

I haven't added any new additions recently at all.

I just added a fresh bag of carbon, chemi pure elite, and some gfo to remove anything in the water that might be causing her not to eat. Hopefully it will get her eating again

I was looking through some of your old posts...Ich, Black Ich, constipation, Worms, flukes...I did not read through all of them, but if any of these were what a fish had and it was not treated properly, you may still have something in there. My bet is that you do if you are buying fish and they are not making it for long.

My knee-jerk reaction would be pull everything into QT, treat for internal parasites, leave the DT fallow and let everything die off in there. Watch your QT fish, when they appear healthy, get them back into the DT. If something else appears treat it. You are looking at months, not days. QT everything moving forward and your DT should stay healthy. Anything less and this vicious cycle could continue.

I was looking through some of your old posts...Ich, Black Ich, constipation, Worms, flukes...I did not read through all of them, but if any of these were what a fish had and it was not treated properly, you may still have something in there. My bet is that you do if you are buying fish and they are not making it for long.

My knee-jerk reaction would be pull everything into QT, treat for internal parasites, leave the DT fallow and let everything die off in there. Watch your QT fish, when they appear healthy, get them back into the DT. If something else appears treat it. You are looking at months, not days. QT everything moving forward and your DT should stay healthy. Anything less and this vicious cycle could continue.

+1. unfortunately this could be a result of a parasite or disease making its way into your DT. try to isolate the problem and solve it before it affects the entire tank

I did have ich a while back but it has been cured for a couple of months now. The internal worms ended up being seaweed, the fish was crapping weird poop and it finally came out lol, so I never treated for that.

I did have flukes more recently though and ive been treating the main tank with prazipro. I stopped it last week after about 5 weeks of treatments. Could I be because of prazipro? Im not trying to change things, im willing to do anything, but if thr angel doesnt eat soon, qt or not, shes gonna die

It is odd that it stopped eating about the same tome you stopped treating, but that is probably coincidental. Is it looking bad or acting differently now?

My Lionfish just recently went about a week without showing any interest in food. It would drop right in front of it and it could care less. Then, it decided food is a good thing again and now goes after it as soon as it hits the water. I have no idea why. Hopefully your angel does the same.

Dont feel bad, i just woke up to a dead flame angel...
Sorry hear bout your loss, I lost mine few weeks ago which is shame as had a bad death, got stuck in small gap in rock poor little thing

Well, it's actually happened one time before I believe, but she ate the next day after I started running cArbon. With this last prazi dose, it wasn't the case. I hope my she starts eating like your lionfish

but, today's behavior looks super promising!! She's acting about 90% normal now. She swam to the top with the others when I turned the pump off just like she used to (she usually hid in the rocks when I fed this past week). Although she didn't eat, she looked at it and got excited like she knew it was food, but just didn't eat it. I'm pretty sure tomorrow she will eat, that will be day 6 without food. Yikes!!

Here's what I think: the prazipro was stressing her out and that's why she wasn't eating, especially after doing a bunch of prazi treatments, it makes sense that her appetite diminished this much. Since running a ton of chemical filtration, she's acting mostly normal, so I'm convinced it was the meds in the water at this point.

She sill hasn't eaten, but I have more hope than ever now!! It kinda makes me uneasy about doing one more prazi treatment next week to make sure the flukes are gone, but I really should.

Hope it pulls through. I notice that you turn your pumps off at feeding time and I've never done that, so just want know if it's ok leave on

Hope it pulls through. I notice that you turn your pumps off at feeding time and I've never done that, so just want know if it's ok leave on

I turn it off because there's so much flow the food will blow all over and get stuck in the rocks and stuff.

Back
Top Bottom