getting rid of brownish algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danisanders

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am very green to this marine aquarium thing. I have had mine set up for about 3 months now and have been battling this brown algae for about a month. Taking inserts out, scrubbing in hot water, letting them cool down and putting them back in the tank. Pain in the butt! Lol. Should I get some snails? Dont they eat the algae? Any constructive criticism is appreciated!

Your setup is still new, its part of the cycle of starting up a marine tank. Every new tank goes through it and you have to let it run its course. If you have a good skimmer it will help pull it out of your water if you get it off the rock and floating. But, just let it run its course.
Since the tank is fresh you won't have built up nutrients in the sand bed or substrate, so that's not a issue. What did you use ?

Turbo snails will eat it, (BUT) if your tank isn't finish cycling they will die and when the diatom is gone they will more than likely die since they will battle for food. Also, don't run your lights for long periods of time. Start off 2 or 3 hrs and every other week or so add another hour till you get to the total time you would like them on everyday. Same applies when you get replacement bulbs.

I have coral bedding at the moment. We are moving soon and I plan to switch to live sand then. I use instant ocean salt and I used aquabella to stabilize my tank (it really works btw. Just battling nitrates right now most people seen a decrease after about 3 months). I dont have a skimmer at this time. My local pet store said I should wait to see if I need it. I have a domino damsel, a three stripe damsel, a blue damsel, a clown, and 2 condy anems.

I don't think the crush coral is the problem, but I have only used sand or bare bottom.
I would invest in a good skimmer. To me its a must have. It will pay for its self in service it does for you. Tank is still new and going through changes so nitrates are normal.
Skimmer and water changes would help lower them. But ! You are kinda over stocked with fish @ three months. The anems might not make it since your tank isn't established yet and damsels look cool while little, but don't be surprise when they get bigger and change look. Also, they get very nasty/mean.

I got my first anem about a month and a half after I started my tank and the other a few weeks later and they seem to be thriving. Never skip a meal or regurgitate the shrimp I give them. I guess its kindof rare, but my clown hosts in them. As for the damsels, I have a pet store that will buy them from me if/when they become a problem. Everyone seems to live in piece for now. They all kindof school every once in a while.

Sounds good. Clowns are in the damsel family also. Sounds like u have good luck, my clowns have never taken to a anem. Gratz !! Just keep up on water changes, really consider getting a skimmer, test water at least 4 times a week. You could add a couple T. snails, but try to get some food to them if poss.

Gratz !!!!

Back
Top Bottom