Getting Started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dd24ck

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am getting at least a 75 gallon tank for christmas this year. Right now I'm just learning how to set up and need some suggestions.

Dawn, welcome to AA. You will find almost everything you'll ever need to know from the members here, if you ask. We love to help and to hear about your ideas and experiences. I hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do.

Now to your message. First of all, what kind of set up do you want? Do you want Fish Only? Do you want to do corals? Do you want Plants and invertebrates?

Do you need to know what all to get with the aquarium? Give us a little bit of detail, and we can get you going in whatever direction you want :wink:

I am getting a 75 gallon tank like I said. I have a book that I've been reading called The Saltwater Aquarium Handbook. It tells me a lot, but it's better to hear from someone with experience on what to get for the aquarium. I do know that I want a volitan lion fish (definetly), and a maroon clownfish. I'm hoping to get two more but I don't know what yet. Is 4 fish ok in a 75 gallon tank? I would like to know if any type of sea horse would work in this tank b/c of the lion fish. I don't know how hard it would be to keep any plants or corals in the tank also. I am really excited about this. One more question....would it be adviseable to put a decoration in there, as in a lighthouse or a ship?

dd24ck said:
I do know that I want a volitan lion fish (definetly), and a maroon clownfish.
That is not really the best combination. Lions + clowns often = dinner :wink: Maroons being the fiesty damsels that they are may fair better but IME, is still a risk.

I'm hoping to get two more but I don't know what yet. Is 4 fish ok in a 75 gallon tank?
The number of fish would greatly depend on max. adult size as well as compatability and aggression. Many fish types must also be chosen based on tank type; FO, FOWLR or reef. The "loose rule" is 1' of fish for every 5 gal of tank less the tail. Here is a good >>calculator<< if you forget.

I would like to know if any type of sea horse would work in this tank b/c of the lion fish.
Definately a no-no. Seahorses should be housed in a species specific tank. Their requirements and care are not recommended for a new hobbiest and I would suggest reading and learning as much as possible first.

I don't know how hard it would be to keep any plants or corals in the tank also. I am really excited about this. One more question....would it be adviseable to put a decoration in there, as in a lighthouse or a ship?
Once the tank has properly cycled and had time to mature, the possibilities are only limited by your budget really :p. Learning as much as you can now and being patient once you start will go along way to a successful begining. I would definately recommend reading the many >>articles<< on AA and ask as many questions as you like... You are already off to a great start (y)

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom