Getting the "Ick" out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty27

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, I just lost the last fish in my tank to ick, and am now beginning the 8 week "fishless" cycle to hopefully kill this cursed parasite.

Is there anything I can keep in the tank in the meantime, so I can have some activity to admire? I was thinking of a shrimp or two, but without any fish, will they be OK? I currently a clean-up crew consisting of some turbo snails and hermits. Is there anything else I can keep that won't require the bio activity of a fish to survive? (Side question: should I worry about the snails and crabs starving?) Adding corals are out of the picture, as my lighting isn't powerful enough.

If it helps, the live rock and live sand in my tank is over a month old (added already cured to my existing tank, which has been up for over 2 years).

Sorry for your losses. You can add inverts, like shrimp, urchins, they will not host ich.

Yes you can add shrimp. snails as they dont host ick. But yes 8 weeks will take care of the life cycle of the parasite.

Thanks for the replys!

Would you suggest I add any food to the tank for the hermits? Or if I get shrimp, would they be OK eating off the rocks, or would they need added nourishment as well?

...and so begins the patience of waiting out this parasite.....

I would feed sparingly, maybe 2-3 times a week, of course other suggestions are welcome.

My opinion is 1 x a week make them look for food so that they dont become lazy ;)

Sadielynn said:
My opinion is 1 x a week make them look for food so that they dont become lazy ;)
Good point! My shrimp got so lazy, they just hid under the rock and waited for the food to come to them. I was kind of thinking 2-3 times a week to keep a min-cycle from happening. I just re-read the OP and it's pretty well established, so I would go for 1 time a week! Great suggestion Sadielynn!

Back
Top Bottom