Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Getting there... I think?

So heres a brief hx of my tank....
Been up and running for about 2 weeks. 36 gallon bowfront; argonite substrate; 32lbs live rock.

I put a raw shrimp in and yesterday my Ammonia was at 8.0
I removed the shrimp and my ammonia is already down to 0.25
Is this normal? here are my other readings...

Here are my readings for today:

pH - 7.8 (its always been this not been changing a whole lot)
ammonia - 0.25
nitrites - 5.0
nitrates - 80
specific gravity - 1.025 (a bit higher than normal) should I dilute some of the tank?

--just want to know if im on the right track and if my levels and their changes are normal for this point in the stage.

---thanks guys

Old 10-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Keep the shrimp in. It decaying will be providing the continued ammonia source, rather than having to dose ammonia everytime that level reaches 0. When I cycled with the shrimp, I let it completely rot and get eaten by hitchhikers. Took about a month to fully cycle.

You used tap water to fill up your tank I'd assume. Nitrates are way too high for a tank to only be on day 2 of cycle.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
Keep the shrimp in. It decaying will be providing the continued ammonia source, rather than having to dose ammonia everytime that level reaches 0. When I cycled with the shrimp, I let it completely rot and get eaten by hitchhikers. Took about a month to fully cycle.

You used tap water to fill up your tank I'd assume. Nitrates are way too high for a tank to only be on day 2 of cycle.
Okay its not day two of the cycle, i may have confused you. The shrimp has been in for 5-6 days...

I didnt use tap water for the whole thing, maybe 10% was tap water; the rest was demineralized & distilled water.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

From what I understood from previous advice, was to wait for the ammonia to spike, which it did to 5; than let it come back down along with the nitrates/ites; and that should conclude the cycle. Did I misunderstand the cycle?
Old 10-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok for ammonia to be gone that fast is kinda weird unless your tank is fully cycled. PH is a bit low but that's fine cause you're still going through the nitrogen cycle. For specific gravity I have mine at 1.024 and I think yours is fine too.

Btw, glad to see someone from Ontario in this forum lol!!!
Old 10-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by daney90
Ok for ammonia to be gone that fast is kinda weird unless your tank is fully cycled. PH is a bit low but that's fine cause you're still going through the nitrogen cycle. For specific gravity I have mine at 1.024 and I think yours is fine too.

Btw, glad to see someone from Ontario in this forum lol!!!
Oh nice, Im in SW Ontario!

--the ammonia was sitting around the 4 mark and spiked yesterday to 8... so i took the shrimp out last night and its that low already (this afternoon) The rocks were in the tank for about 2-3 days before I put the shrimp in.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Did you use live rock? I also did the shrimp method and had the same prob. So I took out the shrimp after more than a week but my ammo remained very high and it gradually decreased.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by daney90
Did you use live rock? I also did the shrimp method and had the same prob. So I took out the shrimp after more than a week but my ammo remained very high and it gradually decreased.
Yes I've got 30lbs of live rock in there now. I put it in monday.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Arg! Cycling can be a pain. I always use Smart Start, to give my new tanks a boost! Also, you might want to get a ph buffer for the future, that way you can maintain a constant 8.3/8.4. If you use the smart start wait a week, because it will give false parameters at first. Good luck on the aquarium. And btw, this was just my opinion
Old 10-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elude82
Arg! Cycling can be a pain. I always use Smart Start, to give my new tanks a boost! Also, you might want to get a ph buffer for the future, that way you can maintain a constant 8.3/8.4. If you use the smart start wait a week, because it will give false parameters at first. Good luck on the aquarium. And btw, this was just my opinion
Thanks I might just give it a week and see where it's a at. Than ill try that stuff. So that ammonia and nitrite spike doesn't count as a cycle once it comes down correct ?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com