Getting there... I think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicolea

Aquarium Advice Activist
So heres a brief hx of my tank....
Been up and running for about 2 weeks. 36 gallon bowfront; argonite substrate; 32lbs live rock.

I put a raw shrimp in and yesterday my Ammonia was at 8.0
I removed the shrimp and my ammonia is already down to 0.25
Is this normal? here are my other readings...

Here are my readings for today:

pH - 7.8 (its always been this not been changing a whole lot)
ammonia - 0.25
nitrites - 5.0
nitrates - 80
specific gravity - 1.025 (a bit higher than normal) should I dilute some of the tank?

--just want to know if im on the right track and if my levels and their changes are normal for this point in the stage.

---thanks guys

Keep the shrimp in. It decaying will be providing the continued ammonia source, rather than having to dose ammonia everytime that level reaches 0. When I cycled with the shrimp, I let it completely rot and get eaten by hitchhikers. Took about a month to fully cycle.

You used tap water to fill up your tank I'd assume. Nitrates are way too high for a tank to only be on day 2 of cycle.

Sniperhank said:
Keep the shrimp in. It decaying will be providing the continued ammonia source, rather than having to dose ammonia everytime that level reaches 0. When I cycled with the shrimp, I let it completely rot and get eaten by hitchhikers. Took about a month to fully cycle.

You used tap water to fill up your tank I'd assume. Nitrates are way too high for a tank to only be on day 2 of cycle.

Okay its not day two of the cycle, i may have confused you. The shrimp has been in for 5-6 days...

I didnt use tap water for the whole thing, maybe 10% was tap water; the rest was demineralized & distilled water.

From what I understood from previous advice, was to wait for the ammonia to spike, which it did to 5; than let it come back down along with the nitrates/ites; and that should conclude the cycle. Did I misunderstand the cycle?

Ok for ammonia to be gone that fast is kinda weird unless your tank is fully cycled. PH is a bit low but that's fine cause you're still going through the nitrogen cycle. For specific gravity I have mine at 1.024 and I think yours is fine too.

Btw, glad to see someone from Ontario in this forum lol!!! :D

daney90 said:
Ok for ammonia to be gone that fast is kinda weird unless your tank is fully cycled. PH is a bit low but that's fine cause you're still going through the nitrogen cycle. For specific gravity I have mine at 1.024 and I think yours is fine too.

Btw, glad to see someone from Ontario in this forum lol!!! :D

Oh nice, Im in SW Ontario!

--the ammonia was sitting around the 4 mark and spiked yesterday to 8... so i took the shrimp out last night and its that low already (this afternoon) The rocks were in the tank for about 2-3 days before I put the shrimp in.

Did you use live rock? I also did the shrimp method and had the same prob. So I took out the shrimp after more than a week but my ammo remained very high and it gradually decreased.

daney90 said:
Did you use live rock? I also did the shrimp method and had the same prob. So I took out the shrimp after more than a week but my ammo remained very high and it gradually decreased.

Yes I've got 30lbs of live rock in there now. I put it in monday.

Arg! Cycling can be a pain. I always use Smart Start, to give my new tanks a boost! Also, you might want to get a ph buffer for the future, that way you can maintain a constant 8.3/8.4. If you use the smart start wait a week, because it will give false parameters at first. Good luck on the aquarium. And btw, this was just my opinion

Elude82 said:
Arg! Cycling can be a pain. I always use Smart Start, to give my new tanks a boost! Also, you might want to get a ph buffer for the future, that way you can maintain a constant 8.3/8.4. If you use the smart start wait a week, because it will give false parameters at first. Good luck on the aquarium. And btw, this was just my opinion

Thanks I might just give it a week and see where it's a at. Than ill try that stuff. So that ammonia and nitrite spike doesn't count as a cycle once it comes down correct ?

Nope.. I would suggest dosing a pure ammonia. I bought a pure ammonia at homehardware for $3 and use it to complete the cycling process. Make sure it's a pure ammonia. To test it, shake the bottle, open the lid and there shouldn't be any foamy bubbles. Then dose your tank to 4ppm. I had to put 9ml on my 55 gal to have 4ppm ammo. So I suggest putting 5ml first and check your ammo after 3 hrs. Hope that helps :)

Can anyone identify this thing?

Attachments

• image-662895385.jpg
    image-662895385.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 71
I'm having trouble reading my chemistry... This is how I read it ?..

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 5.0
Nitrates 80
PH 7.8

Let me know what you guys think. :D

Attachments

• image-1514280374.jpg
    image-1514280374.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 70
  • image-3539260943.jpg
    image-3539260943.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 80
It's bad. They are small anemones that can multiply quickly and sting corals. You can use something like aiptasia juice or lemon juice. You can get a peppermint shrimp to eat the small ones that you prob. won't find.

obscurereef said:
It's bad. They are small anemones that can multiply quickly and sting corals. You can use something like aiptasia juice or lemon juice. You can get a peppermint shrimp to eat the small ones that you prob. won't find.

Oh boy. Lol. Ok I didn't want shrimp. But I will try it. Now that I look real close. Wow I've got lots growing already :( also I posted on my other thread I think I found a crab in a rock. I posted pics there too.

How do I get my hands on aptasia juice? I'd like to get rid of the problems before I add fish

I had aiptasia in my tank and I got a product called aiptasia-x. Try seeing if you can get it at your LFS. It's also online at amazon.

okapizebra said:
I had aiptasia in my tank and I got a product called aiptasia-x. Try seeing if you can get it at your LFS. It's also online at amazon.

Thnx. I'll look for it tomorrow.

Did I say aiptasia juice?:facepalm: I meant a killer for this pest...like okapizebra said, aiptasia is popular and kills them effectively.

Back
Top Bottom