Ghost Ribbon Eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharkMan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone out there have any experience with Ghost Ribbon Eel? The local fish store has had one for a while and while I was there today I saw it eat two ghost shrimp. From what I have read about the ribbon eels the hardest part about keeping them is getting them to eat? I also read today that the "ribbon eel" is different from the ghost ribbon eel? Is there anyone out there that can verify these statements? Or give me some advice on keeping this beautiful creature? Unfortunately There is almost nothing out there on the care for these guys? Thanks.

I'd personally stay away, have pretty high mortality rates in home systems, they are very petite eels. I have never tried them due to this, I will say it to everyone, play it safe with the snowflake/zebra in community tanks, or the fimbriated/greens/tesselata types for your more aggressive tanks.

If you do end up purchasing, what size tank and tankmates?

Thanks for the response. I have already bought the little guy. He is around 2 feet in length, but very slim body shape. The eel I purchased goes by a few names, ghost ribbon moray, ghost moray, white stripe moray. etc.. Tonight it ate 8 small ghost shrimp out of my hand. This eel from what I have found does not have the same dismal survival rates the blue ribbon morays have. I originally wanted a zebra moray, but jumped at the thought of a smaller more compatible eel. I currently have him in a twelve gallon nano as a quarantine tank. My main tank is a 100 gallon soon to be reef tank. It has recently finished cycling and now I have no money to stock it! Bummer! Do you think there is a candidate for a reef safe eel? Any input welcome. Thanks.

There are a few species that are reef safe, although "no" eel is really reef safe. Both my zebra and snowflake eels both live amongst a small amount of corals and lots of fish/shrimps, they have never attempted to eat or bite anything, but that is just my case. Others have had eels that have demolished their shrimp/crustacean colonies.

Theres no certainty any eel is reef safe but there definately is some eels that will have a better disposition than others.

Ghost Ribbon Expert

Hi, just responding to your question regarding ghost ribbon eels. I have had mine for about 8 years. She has always managed to get the gold fish, even when we have had lions and puffers. I was searching the web to see their life span, with no luck. I would suggest to take the chance, she has given us many years of enjoyment, for a low price of $30.00. JA

First off, is this your ghost ribbon eel? Aquarium Fish If so you'll soon read it is not related to the common blue/black/yellow ribbon eels offered for sale.

Ghost Ribon Eel

Yes, it is a ghost ribbon eel. White, slender, and about 22 inches long. We have had her about 8 years, do you know how long they live? JA.

I cant answer how long they live but I would like to see a pic of your`s if possible.

Ghost eel

We just took this picture, she is curled up abit so you can't really see how long she is, this is a 90 gallon tank. JA

Attachments

• DSC00014.jpg
    DSC00014.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 464
hi im starting my first salt water aquarium its my first aquarium since i was a kid my favorite fish is the ghost eel i was wondering if I would be able to put multiple ribbon eels in one tank and if so how large would it have to be

Yes, you can put them together. From my experience they the ribbon eels are longer when you purchase them, but I don't think the size would be an issue.

hi im starting my first salt water aquarium its my first aquarium since i was a kid my favorite fish is the ghost eel i was wondering if I would be able to put multiple ribbon eels in one tank and if so how large would it have to be

Back
Top Bottom