Gobies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rthoman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been looking into getting a goby since they are small, and i have a smaller tank. Possibly a Mandarin. I have read that you need live sand for them to live. I do not have live sand, it was artificial. So what do i need to do to provide the conditions that a Mandarin would need?

before the entire world jumps on this, ill take a stab at this.

Maderin gobies, although very attractive fish, are VERY difficult to keep. Why? because of their diet. If you do not have a large (75 gal +) and well established tank, you will be unscuccessful in your attemp to keep one. You will find that they eat the pods off your live rock.

Most gobies prefer a live sand bed to burrow in, but live sand doesnt necessisarily mean you bought live sand. if you have little bitty critters in your sand, then it is live. ( i am sure there are many articles on this)

gobies you might want to look at IMO would be

firefish - Nemateleotris helfrichi or decora
heck there are many and a good place to see pics and choices is www.Liveaquaria.com

if they put the "expert" disclaimer on the description, they are serioius about it.

good luck

Back
Top Bottom