goby vs scooter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trk1616

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking into getting either a Mandarin Goby or a Scooter Blenny this weekend for my FOWLR. Anyone have either one and can offer any advise or suggestions? Is one more maintence, hardy, etc than the other? I may get a shrimp at the same time. Any problems with those 2 hanging out on the sand bottom? TIA.

45 G
10 lb LR
1 yellow tailed damsel
1 blue tailed damsel
1 clarkii clown
1 strawberry psuedochromis
1 chocalate starfish
3 hermit crabs
6 snails

names

I've seen these fish called different things in different places, so I'm trying to add pictures to give a better idea...

From what I've heard/read, the mandarin needs a well established tank with a population of copepods. I can't really comment on the blenny.

HTH

Both are actually in the Dragonet family so the Scooter Blenny isn't really a Blenny at all. Swamper is correct in that they will eat infauna out of the sand bed so they are best suited for an established aquarium that has "critters" in the bed. However, I believe they will also eat prepared food as well if given the opportunity.

Your shrimp you are putting in should be fine with them.

I believe that scooter blennies take to prepared foods better than mandarins most of the time but alot of people are lucky enough to have mandarins that will eat flakes and frozen foods

With a small tank like a 46 both fish will slowly starve out. I would avoid both.

My scooter blenny is doing Awesome I have had him a bit over a month now and he eats prepared food plus he scavenges all over the tank.. He seems to be happy and likes Frozen Brine and Mysis.. I have heard now that both the fish you mention very rarely eat prepared foods... Best advice if you get either MAKE sure they both eat prepared foods..

HTH,
James

I think the scotter would be fine, but the mandarin is a specialized feeder. Even if you got him to take prepared food, this is not his natural feeding tendency and he would most likely starve in the long run

I wouldn't go with the mandarin unless you get more LR. And as aforementioned, make sure it eats frozen or prepared foods! The scooter sounds better for your set up right now IMO.

We've had both, just recently we gave the mandarin back to the LFS because of combining our tanks and knew if we kept the mandarin with the scooter that either the mandarin would die of starvation or the scooter would chase her to death. We had our mandarin in a 40 gallon all by itself no other fish along with fuge, it wouldn't eat frozen food either.

Our scooter on the other hand we have had for a year, will eat frozen brine, mysis, zooplankton and believe it or not even the mush we make that has fallen down onto the sand big pieces too! It's a great fish to watch, they seem to glide in the water and will occasionally show off, hope you don't mind me posting a pic of ours.

Good luck in what ever you decide :D

Back
Top Bottom