Goby Which One?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baron1282

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a new 55 tank set up, as some of you already saw my build thread.

I am waiting for the end of the month before I add anything new to the system. My question is what Goby would you suggest for my tank mates, or if any Goby. I want something that will keep the Sand Clean, but can stand on his own without being bullied or hurt.

I have not had a single problem with my current fish, and they all get along. Swimming next to one another and not bothering each other. My line up is:

1 Flame Hawk
1 Blue Spotted Puffer
1 Coral Beauty
1 Six Line Wrasse

With that line up currently in my tank, what should I get to keep the Sand bed clean? I like The Watchman Goby, but I don't want to put something in that will just get stressed. I got a good lid now, I only have a 2in by 8in opening in the back where my skimmer is. Thanks for the advice!

One last question!! I am using pellets for my main course food choice. Every other day I mix it up with brine shrimp and krill or mysis shrimp and krill. During the pellet feeding time, it seems my Coral Beauty does not eat or my Six Line. What should I get besides the pellets that would make them eat every day? Thanks!

Gold Headed Sleeper Gobies keep the sand nice and clean, and you have a cover so you don't have to worry about it jumping out. My puffer was great with him and their pretty fast and can usually scurry under a rock if something bothers them.
As far as feeding, I know Garlic foods increase appetites maybe you can soak the pellets in garlic? or your fish may not be hungry, I've switched from feeding everyday to every other day and my fish seem a lot happier with that.

I feed frozen brine and my sis shrimp and my fish go nuts for it +1 on the sleeper

bullet goby or dragon sleeper goby active cool looking sand sifter that will hold his own love this guy im geting one next week :)

I have another question about a Goby. I want to buy one around the end of the month, but a lot of LFS say I need to wait about a YEAR for my tank to have everything it needs in the sand bed for them to eat and stay healthy.

I bought live sand and when I did the transfer to the 55 gallon tank, I added 30 pounds of regular sand to the bottom of the tank and I added 50 pounds of my old live sand on top of it (I did not rinse my old live sand, I vacuumed the top and took out about 10 pounds of old live sand and transferred the remaining 50 or so pounds). If I were to count my whole time I had a salt water tank, I have had the 29 gallon tank set up for 4 months before moving it over to the 55 about 2 weeks ago now.

I didn't do that, and my Goby was fat and happy, up until my lionfish ate him :( I also had messy eaters though so a lot of food went to the bottom of the tank for him to feed on. As long as he gets enough food there on the bottom I think he should be just fine, and if your worried about it maybe mix some sort of food in the sand for him to dig out.

My suggestion would be the pink spotted goby. They do sift but not really alot but they are good outfront fish for the tank. Here s a picture of mine.

100_1945.jpg

Back
Top Bottom