Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by carey
This is an instance where the hanna checker for phosphates would come in handy. It has a digital readout and goes to like .01 so you always know for sure. They are like $45-50 but was worth it for me, no more guessing. lol
And my LFS said that pricey phosphate kits/testers aren't really worth it...? Basically because if there's phates present, they gotta go regardless of what the level is.. I might look into that checker tho Carey, do you think its worth it? It seems like phosphates are kinda that battle you should always be fighting regardless of it theyre in the water or not? thanks!

Flaxon-Waxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
I bought all three hanna checkers a few months ago. Alkalinity, calcium and phosphate.

the phosphate one is by far the best of the three and the most used. It's really nice to have a number just pop up on a screen and then you can track how the gfo is working and when you need to replace the media.
The alkainity hanna is almost as good, it's spot on and soo much easier than dropping drops and figuring it out. lol It's like a 9 out of 10 only because i dont use it as frequently as I use the one for phosphates.
Now the calcium, test, well in my opinion is just a waste of money. I returned mine after a week to BRS cause it was so awful. It was beyond inaccurate, I even was on the phone with hanna trying to figure out a way to use it so it was reliable. They told me you have to use distilled water, not ro/di water in the test sample and there were way too many steps in the testing procedure for me. lol

I paid like $45 or so for each of mine with a sale at BRS last year so to me it was worth every penny. In fact, gotta go check my phosphates now, almost forgot. lol I was at .23 a few days ago and just changed the media so we'll see where I'm at.

Good luck!

180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:48 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
i have found in my experience, that the test kits that come from the LFS's can be more accurate due to the fact they test a lot more than we do. and the test kits we buy from a LFS or petsmart, petco, etc... can sit for a long time, more than likely going bad in the process. If im unsure i always take my water to my LFS to get a second opinion. i know that's what ur trying to do here but an in person view will definitely be better
mikestanked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:20 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
I've used Hannah equipment for work. Temp probes, ph probes, ec probes ect, most of the ones I used can be calibrated with a solution that you buy or comes with. We use this for Australian standards in mulch and they are the recommended brand..

Pryzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com