Going Away for 2 Weeks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkhamDave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I will be away for 16 days and there is no one I would trust to feed them. Can I leave them that long? I have to top up the tank and empty the skimmer every few days. Short of hiring someone from the LFS, does anyone have any ideas?
As I have a reef tank with a fair current, I would need a feeder that will put the food underwater or it will float to the filter before the fish can eat.

The fish can not wait that long to feed. Someone or something will need to feed them several times.

why dont you get someone you dont trust but pre fix the food in bags for every day of feed? also fix a jug of water for top offs so they wont get strait tap water just fix it so you can trust them

I disagree depending on the fish (anthias and perhaps other finicky eaters). I have left fish non-fed for over 2wks without any emaciation; however, you can purchase an automatic feeder and fill using small pellets. Make sure you use the feeder before leaving to make sure of proper functioning.

i dont understand why you dont just ask a nieghbor or a relative in town... theres honestly NO ONE you can trust to feed a fish? come on

Not trying to cause an arguement. Your experience is your`s and valuable but even if they could make it 2 weeks do you think it`s fair to the fish to make them them go that long without feeding. They say around two weeks is the limit but I`m not going to test that out. My fish will never go more than every other day without feeding. I would find someone to feed at least every couple days or do the auto feed.

mikes right i have gone four days without feeding came home fed them and i thought they were going to jump out of the tank for the food

When I go out of town I have a marker on my sump for my mother in law to top off with RO water every day and I also pre-portion the food out for her to feed with specific instructions. I think if someone could do that for you it will work out ok.

This is what I would do:

1. Have trusworthy friends to come over to turn on/off lights, clean the glass, top of water (not tap water but have some drinking water jugs available), feed the fish and corals.

2. Have them call you if there is a problem.

3. Pay them 50 bucks.

Depending on the fish some will live two weeks without food but some will die. Foxface and blue chromis need feedings frequently or they will go into decline very quickly. DP

Going Away for 2 weeks.

I have tested automatic feeders. I have a reef tank with constantly moving water. When dry flakes are dropped into it, the surface tension keeps them afloat until most go into the filter.

I have found trusted people to come in daily to feed, empty protien filter and top up as necessary. This was the most frequently mentioned suggestion and your prodding made me look harder.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom