Going to start a FOWLR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LayzorBeams

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I've done some research since my thread asking about what i need, and I've learned a bit. Ive decided i want to keep a clownfish with maybe something else? I don't want to do corals (obviously, otherwise it wouldn't be FOWLR) because they are expensive, and they are more than I'm willing to deal with right now. At some point i might add some in later.

So i want to use a HOB rated for 55 gallons on my 29, and i will have a powerhead and heater. Test kit and the thing to test the salt levels of water will be something i will buy. Can i use the same test kit that i would for fresh water? I would like to skip a skimmer as it is a smaller, pretty lightly stocked tank so i don't think enough waste will be made to warrant buying one. I have light, its not very strong but it lights up the tank sufficiently i think? Do i need special lights?

So i would like to keep a clownfish, because that seems like a pretty undemanding fish and i also like them a lot. Could i do multiples? If they don't have anemones will they be in trouble? Will a lot of live rock to add some hiding space be sufficient? Im not sure about the dominance systems of saltwater as they are a bit more complicated i think, so i don't know if i need anemones for multiple clownfish or a single clownfish with tank mates. I would like tank mates, but could keep one alone if i have to.

What do you recommend for food? Im not sure what the dietary requirements of these fish are.

What about water changes? I just have to change a bit of water here and there and can top off evaporated water with regular saltwater, since the salt doesn't evaporate with the water. Right? Ive read those things anyways :p do i need special water? Ive heard about RO and I'm not sure if i need that...

So yeah, some advice on above things as well as tank mates for a clownfish would be nice!

Also, I'm on a bit of a tight budget for a tank like this as i know saltwater can be a bit pricey.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

So what about Frogfishas a secondary option? I am under the impression that they couldn't live with Clowns, but could they work in a 29 with any tankmates? Or alone... And what do you feed them? People just say "shrimp" but I'm not sure what type of shrimp...

Frogfish IMO need a tank to themselves. They are predators and can eat fish much larger than you'd think they can. A fish like a clown would be quite the expensive snack.

You can use the same test kit as FW, but you need to get the SW cards, as they use a different color chart.
You won't have to run a skimmer on a 29g tank, you'll just have to watch your water parameters and do water changes when needed.
Clownfish are relatively easy to care for, having 2 of them would not be a problem at all. They make a Clowfish flake food, Mysis Shrimp, Plankton chopped up small stor bought shrimp can be used for food.
RO/DI is always recommended for SW tanks, but with a FOWLR its not necessary. You should use RO as tap water can have all kinds of crap in it, stuff that grows sponge and algae to easily.

For a FOWLR, you do not special lights. Different types of lights will show things of differently though. Something with a blue/actinic light and white helps colors pop more on many fish.

For water, I would go with at least RO. Don't use tap. Also, I think you mentioned topping off evaporated water with regular saltwater? You top off with regular RO or RODI water. The salt does not evaporate, so if you topped off with saltwater each time, you salinity will rise.

If you use a canister filter, understand that they collect waste and that needs to be cleaned out on a regular basis. I'd go with a HOB skimmer and water changes, unless you are sure you will keep up on regular water changes and regular canister cleaning. I know people start off with good intentions and often become lazy. The skimmer is easy to clean and gives you a little wiggle room if laziness sets in.

I would not do more than a pair of clowns in that size tank. Multiples can be done in larger tanks, but it would probably not end well in a smaller tank.

Make sure you understand how to cycle your tank. I feel that is one of the most misunderstood newbie problems. People do not cycle properly, they add fish, those fish die and now the person is frustrated and ready to give up on the hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For a FOWLR, you do not special lights. Different types of lights will show things of differently though. Something with a blue/actinic light and white helps colors pop more on many fish.

For water, I would go with at least RO. Don't use tap. Also, I think you mentioned topping off evaporated water with regular saltwater? You top off with regular RO or RODI water. The salt does not evaporate, so if you topped off with saltwater each time, you salinity will rise.

If you use a canister filter, understand that they collect waste and that needs to be cleaned out on a regular basis. I'd go with a HOB skimmer and water changes, unless you are sure you will keep up on regular water changes and regular canister cleaning. I know people start off with good intentions and often become lazy. The skimmer is easy to clean and gives you a little wiggle room if laziness sets in.

I would not do more than a pair of clowns in that size tank. Multiples can be done in larger tanks, but it would probably not end well in a smaller tank.

Make sure you understand how to cycle your tank. I feel that is one of the most misunderstood newbie problems. People do not cycle properly, they add fish, those fish die and now the person is frustrated and ready to give up on the hobby.

Ok no special light, i can do that part.

Maybe i messed up my words in my original post, but i did know that :p no problem refreshing my memory though.

Im using a HOB rated for 55 gallons.

So a pair of Clowns and thats it? I would like some other-non clown tankmates, like those red and white Shrimp that i don't know the name of or some Damsels? I want at least 1 Clown in the tank, with whatever tankmates would work.

I know all about FW cycling as I've done it a good few times, but i know i cant seed the media from my own tanks as this is my first SW tank. I will see if i can get some from the LFS. Im still doing a bit more research on SW cycling specifics. Im only a newbie to saltwater, not the whole hobby haha.

A cool stock list would be:

2 ocellaris clownfish (pair)
1 yellowtail damselfish
1 randalli prawn goby

1 randalli pistol shrimp (will dig a hole and live with the goby)
1 skunk cleaner shrimp (the shrimp you mentioned)
1 emerald crab (good for cleaning hair algae and sometimes bubble algae, just keep it well fed :D)
1 black brittle star (kinda creepy, but will consume detritus and help clean the sand)

A cool stock list would be:

2 ocellaris clownfish (pair)

1 yellowtail damselfish

1 randalli prawn goby

1 randalli pistol shrimp (will dig a hole and live with the goby)

1 skunk cleaner shrimp (the shrimp you mentioned)

1 emerald crab (good for cleaning hair algae and sometimes bubble algae, just keep it well fed :D)

1 black brittle star (kinda creepy, but will consume detritus and help clean the sand)

Isnt that a lot for the tank? I do like the suggestion though!

Number-wise it should be fine. Two clowns plus 2-3 smallish fish should work, especially with a slimmer. I would not put a damsel in though. They can be terrors. I'd consider something less aggressive on a smaller tank. Fire fish, Cardinals, Blennies...I'd actually go with some kind of Goby/Shrimp pair, a chalk bass and a possum wrasse.

So i like the Clowns, obviously, and i really like the Skunk Shrimp. They are cool. Ive seen Firefish at my LFS and i like them as well. I think i will get those and stick with them for the time being.

I wont be able to start the project for a month or two as of now, things may change, hopefully they do.

I will look into getting a skimmer.

Yep, it'll be a while. Planning to go to LFS tomorrow to get supplies, possible fish, and check out pricing. I have to remove the Salvini, which is why I'm going in the first place. He is very nervous and hides all day, which is normal for a Salvini but it isn't what i really like in a fish. I guess i hoped he would be a bit more extroverted, but whatever. He should get me some decent money for the tanks though :)

Back
Top Bottom