Good tank mates? Out of ideas..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FOWLR-JUNKIE

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey y'all.. I was looking for some good tank mates for my 240g tank.. I've leaned should've to the predator side.. And was wondering for some good ideas to add.. My
Iive stock list has the following
Trigger clown - 6in
Niger - 7in
Pissaco - 3in looking to get rid of
Bursa - 2in maybe be getting rid of
Squirrelfish - 5 in
Yellow tang 4in
Lion fish 4 in
Snowflake eel 8in
Lunar wrasse 4in
Koran angel - 2in
My 2 big triggers are pretty aggressive during feeding time and my dogface puffer (3in) was getting bit a lot so I had to rehome him :-(.. My nitrates is round 5ppm and I'm waiting on my Reef Octpus skimmer 5000ext to come in the mail.. Right now I'm running a vertex 180..
I was looking to maybe get another eel of some sort but might not.. Also wanted to add possibly a porky puffer and/or miniatus grouper.. But other than that I'm out of ideas.. And advice would be highly appreciated of any info I provided above.. Any things you would change or some fourth.. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421275465.005980.jpg this is a picture of my aquarium

I dunno...I think that's a lot of aggressive fish in a small box. A bunch of small/medium tangs would do fine in there but I think you are going to run into problems shortly down the road. You are already running into problems with aggression. I suggest you get rid of the couple you don't want and leave it be. If anything more hiding spots might be a good idea.

Well it is a predator tank.. Don't get me wrong It's not to much aggression.. I will be getting rid of the huma but the bursa is chill.. No one messes with the tang or angel.. And for the most part everyone is good besides the clown and niger.. Would you think a grouper, tusk, another lionfish and a porky puffer would do fine.. I might also do the a tang but I'll have to see how parameter look after each fish is added.. I don't want to over stuck.. And I'm planning on adding more like rock.. What's your opinion about a wolf eel..?

You just got rid of the dogface because it was getting bit. I think a porcupine puffer is going to have the same trouble. As for eels, I think you should have more rock so they can hide. It's what they prefer to do most of the time. A dwarf lion might be ok. Volitan lions get the size of basketballs, so it will outgrow this tank. I think you are overstocking with your list.

Oh wow.. I don't want to overstock.. What do you suggest? Me get rid of a few others? Cuz I don't just want triggers.. I think a larger porky pine would be able to take care of himself better in a tank like this.. The dogface is just two small.. If you had the stock list of what I have what would you put in around them..?

I'd stick to one eel. The non-reef safe wrasses are pretty awesome looking and can be housed together. I think you are giving more credit to the puffer than it deserves. A clown trigger can be a nasty fish. A grouper might work out, but remember, most of these fish get humungous, and will need to be re-homed eventually.

I totally agree with Mr X. I think that having multiple Triggers is begging for aggression issues at some point and the overall list has a lot of messy eaters that will push filtration.

I think the Porc might be okay, but I'd go with a larger one if you had to have one.

I think a decent sized (not juvenile) Harlequin Tusk would be good. I agree with the non-reef safe wrasses as cool additions. I'd get another Tang and maybe some kind of Foxface/ Rabbitfish. All would hold their own in there.

Groupers are cool, but they do get huge and they do so relatively fast. I inherited one about a year ago that was over a foot long and promptly handed it over to a LFS because my 240 was just too small.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom