Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #11
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

There is not too many if any that are hardy. Most I`ve seen in Liveaquaria are difficult.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah... they need "lower light" because they need NO light. They rely on getting food from the water column. There are some gorgonians that are photosynthetic, but I do not believe yours is one of them. What makes non-photosynthetic species difficult is that you have to continuously feed them, which then fouls your water because we're working with closed systems. It's tough to keep pristine conditions for everything else when you're having to feed phyto.

As far as never knowing "for sure"... no - that's not the case. Researching before making purchases is a really good habit to get in, if you're going to be in the hobby long term. It will save you a LOT of money.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

"As far as never knowing "for sure"... no - that's not the case"
So your saying you know for sure what this is. Which means I was misslead by the store sales man. Waited a week or so before buying. Reacherch is done before purchase, thank you.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Huh?

OK... if you did research before you bought, and you understand the needs of this coral, then I'm sorry I jumped to conclusions. I'm just not sure how else to read your opening post though... to me it sounds like you're not sure what you have and what it needs.

Regarding being misled by a fish store employee... it happens. Sometimes out of simple ignorance, sometimes not so much.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ya the guy was a talker. Who knows what his intentions were. I was not upset in any way, sorry if it came across like that. I couldent put my finger on which one it was in the first week. From what the store guy said and what I gathered I thought it was a yellow finger gorgonian(from first thread). I didnt really know fully which exact type it was, after looking at all the pictures but felt like I could keep one. When you said, "As far as never knowing "for sure"... no - that's not the case." I thought you were telling me you knew for sure what it was, which is exactly what I want. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:55 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

I am fairly certain it is Diodogorgia nodulifera. The callous-like spots where the polyps extend from within are rather distinct. They hail from Caribbean waters over 50ft. deep. These gorgonians lack the zooanthellae (symbiotic algae) required to photosythesize, which is why they must be fed in order to thrive. You could probably get by with phytoplankton, but perhaps better off with more planktonic food such as rotifers, eggs, and copepods. Remember with lfs salesmen, they are there to make a sale and often don't know much about what they are selling in the first place.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:21 PM   #17
is back to save the day!

Well my bad on the misinformation. This looked pretty similar to Diodogorgia sp. so that's why i gave information on that gorgonian. Thanks for the clarification though Innovator and Kurt.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:54 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks inovator, very helpful. Hopefuly everything goes good, thanks again.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Well my bad on the misinformation. This looked pretty similar to Diodogorgia sp. so that's why i gave information on that gorgonian....
I'm still not understanding why you're saying this. From what I've read, ALL species of Diodogorgia are non-photosythetic. Doesn't matter what subspecies it is... none of them utilize light.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:26 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ya, none of them do (none I could find anyway) since this thread I have been doing quite a bit of looking around. Mine only seems to open his plyps during the time the tank is lit. When the light goes away so do the plyps. I know he's not using light as energy, he's probly just adjusting.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com