Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2005, 10:16 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Got the tank moved

Well I moved my 75 gal tank, refugium and sump on Friday. I kept most of my water and reused my current sand bed. It really sucks trying to aquascape when you cant see your hand in the water As far as I can tell, I did not lose anything. Some corals are still a bit stressed though. *knock on wood*

I also realized that I have too much stuff in my tank. Some corals need sew homes or fragged.

The only hiccup I had was I placed the tank parallel to my floor joists. I never really thought of checking this since my 75 gal is a "small" tank. You can shake the water if you jump up and down in the room. Scary stuff. The tank is setting on 2 joist but I am planning on bracing the 2 joist in the basement. Anyone ever had to do this?

Thanks

Old 03-21-2005, 01:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Bracing joists from the basement is quite easy. I took a scrap 4x4 (that's what I had), cut 2 pieces so that they extended past the joists by a few inches, then secured in place via pole jacks, which rest on more scrap wood. Just check peiodically. While you're in the basement, it's not a bad idea to check the joists directly underneath the refrigerator. Good luck.

Old 03-21-2005, 02:12 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I thought about doing something similar buy using a 2x12 to span 3-4 joists and then bracing the ends of the 2x12. Don't know if this would help more or not than just using 4x4's under the joists the tank sits on.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Re: Got the tank moved

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisz
The only hiccup I had was I placed the tank parallel to my floor joists. I never really thought of checking this since my 75 gal is a "small" tank. You can shake the water if you jump up and down in the room. Scary stuff. The tank is setting on 2 joist but I am planning on bracing the 2 joist in the basement. Anyone ever had to do this?
This is the first time in my life where I can say I am very glad that basements are not built in this area!
Old 03-21-2005, 02:31 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Unless your on a slab, a crawl space could lead to the same thing. I have read of people bracing big tanks in the crawl space.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hmmmm. My non-engineering approach tells me that placing the bracing forces in direct opposition and as close as possible to the load makes sense. If you span 4 joists with a 2x12, then brace the ends, the 2 load bearing joists in the middle would not seem to fully benefit from the pole jacks bracing as they could be as much as 16+ inches away from that force. The integrity of the 64+ inch 2x12 (as in warping) then seems to come into play. To me, priority #1 would be to ensure the tank doesn't crash into the basement. A secondary priority would be to ensure that the joists don't sag over time, even 1/8th of an inch. The 2x12 solution seems as though it could allow that.

Tags
tan, tank move

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com