Grass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is not algae, it came on my live rock and I
think it's sweet... Is there a name for it? And is it a POSSIBILITY that it is why I never really see nitrates?

image-3241741090.jpg

Benamayer said:
think it's sweet... Is there a name for it? And is it a POSSIBILITY that it is why I never really see nitrates?

That's cool stuff!

Benamayer said:

Okay, not going to lie, from the pic it does look like green hair algae however normally GH algae spreads like wildfire.

I'll get a better shot hang on.. I'm 100% certain it's not algae. The LFS said it was some sort of grass and I forgot the name... It's pretty cool stuff..

image-3664305135.jpg

The way you can tell a sea grass from algae is that algae doesn't have a true root system whereas a grass will have roots. Algae also will not have a vein that carries nutrients, and it won't produce seeds or "fruit" (not the fruit you typically think of! LOL!). Algae use spores to reproduce.

Benamayer said:
I'll get a better shot hang on.. I'm 100% certain it's not algae. The LFS said it was some sort of grass and I forgot the name... It's pretty cool stuff..

It does look like pretty! Haha! And it's not spread?

The rock it's on is actually a desperate rock than what's on top of it...

nikki_kaiser said:
It does look like pretty! Haha! And it's not spread?

In 4 months it's covered maybe a 1/3rd more of the rock... And from my earlier post desperate=seperate... Lol.

And this stuff doesn't "flow" around in the water. It's literally like a patch of grass. I've seen hair algae in my tank and this is not it. It even looks better than the lawn I pay my condo association to maintain :cool:

And when I set my 75 gallon up, it's gonna be the center piece of live rock in the tank... Love it for the nitrate reduction!

Benamayer said:
And when I set my 75 gallon up, it's gonna be the center piece of live rock in the tank... Love it for the nitrate reduction!

Find out the name! That's cool!!

I'm gonna hafta ask him next time I see him. I will
let you know. My tank should be done this weekend so I'll find out then. Might even buy another piece with the grass on it :cool:

I think the reason for me posting was because of
nitrates. Come to think of it, after my tank cycled, it hit 40 ppm, and I haven't seen ANY levels since then... Interesting.

Benamayer said:
I'm gonna hafta ask him next time I see him. I will
let you know. My tank should be done this weekend so I'll find out then. Might even buy another piece with the grass on it :cool:

Is it maidens hair?

Back
Top Bottom