great beginner fish recommendation plz!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
hi guys, recently i have acquired a 30gal SW tank with live rocks only. the previous owner had a humu triggerfish in it and i knew it would be happier if rehomed to a bigger fish tank, which is what i did. now my tank is empty except one hermit crab and a few snails. since i'm new to the SW side of fish keeping, i would like to know what are some of the hardy fish out there that a beginner like me can try in a 30gal tank. i would prefer their diet to be flake with occasional frozen treats because i have a job that requires me to travel and i would like to put the food in the automatic feeder. i understand a variety of food is good but considering the circumstance i will have to do flakes 60-70% of the time. i will treat my fish to a feast of frozen/live shrimps periodically especially before i go on a trip. with that been said, what are some of the beginner fish that i can try?

I have a banana wrasse also known as yellow coris wrasse and even as a canary wrasse. There are plenty of other names for it too lol. Fire gobies and azure damsel( damsel have a bad name) but i love mine... These three fish are resilient and have beautiful colors and interesting to watch. Have fun

Defo say clown fish! Very hardy and wil definitely ear the flake

I have a banana wrasse also known as yellow coris wrasse and even as a canary wrasse. There are plenty of other names for it too lol. Fire gobies and azure damsel( damsel have a bad name) but i love mine... These three fish are resilient and have beautiful colors and interesting to watch. Have fun

oh man look at the color, but don't wrasse need >100gal?

oh man look at the color, but don't wrasse need >100gal?

Liveaquaria has a 50 gallon minimum. Good luck!

My wrasse enjoys the DSB, it sleeps in it and buries itself in it. Have fun!

Many wrasse need a bigger tank... This little guy can grow up to 5 inches( iv'e read) but chances are it will be 3"(perfect) . Lol

Gobies, damsels, clownfish. If you are looking for a sand sifting goby, check out the banded dragon goby, tiger wardi, or jawfish. They only grow to a few inches and they are comical when sifting sand. Just understand that they will def make caves and elaborate tunnels under your rocks and sand. That being said, be ready to wake up everyday to a new sand landscape and make sure your rocks are together pretty solid (dont want one falling and crushing him).

i'm thinking of getting some pistol shrimps and one or two gobies. i know the symbiosis relationships between the two species. if i get more shrimps than gobies, are the shrimps going to have problem finding food since they're "blind"?

so far, i have been hearing about the watchman gobies. are there any other gobies that will work with pistol shrimps? any recommendations on which shrimps i should start with?

Clown fish if your new to the salty side, btw clowns are damsels.

The only bad thing about damsels is that the older they get the meaner and more terratorial they get. I would suggest a clown and a pink spotted goby.

Zactheninja said:
Clown fish if your new to the salty side, btw clowns are damsels.

I wouldnt necessarily say that clownfish (anemonefish) are damsels. They are closely related and i believe they are of the same family, but they arent the same. They do still fortunately share some good traits (hardy, easily adjustable to new environments, willingness to eat almost anything).

Yellow watchman goby, blennies, clowns, any basslets are good too...

Back
Top Bottom