Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-12-2006, 08:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

great news

I just got offered a free 55 gallon fish tank after the guy put a trigger with a lionfish and the lionfish stung it and poisoned the whole tank i am not planning on making it a reef tank do you have any stocking suggestoins?

Old 05-12-2006, 08:33 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Just to clarify things so that the poor lionfish species does not yet suffer once again from bad press, although the lion may have stung the trigger, and the trigger may have died from it, Lionfish do not "poison" anything. They do not have that ability. They are venemous, not poisonous. Venom is "injected" into the victim, via the spines in the case of the lionfish.

It is safe to put anything you want into that tank, that is suitable for the size.

Old 05-12-2006, 08:34 PM   #3

sorry thats just what i was told
Old 05-12-2006, 08:37 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
no problem, just trying to explain the difference. You can even turn it into a tank with corals if that is what you want to do and you have the funds to do so.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:40 PM   #5

thanks maybe i will try that
Old 05-12-2006, 08:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 55g reef with a pair of maroon clowns, a lawnmower blenny and a watchman goby/pistol shrimp combo. Some would think that lightly stocked but my fish are happy and with the large clowns, there is plenty of activity in the tank.
You have a good many options with that tank. You could do a pair of smaller clowns with maybe a dwarf angel. And then maybe a school of chromis. And then maybe a smaller fish like the gobies and blennies. There are lots of them to choose from. If you keep it a community tank, you have alot of options on ornamental inverts as well. Pistol shrimp, cleaner shrimp, crabs, etc. Look around your lfs, see what's available and research things that catch your eye. Plan out what you want before buying and be sure to add the fish slowly. Oh, and QT. Good luck.

Tags
eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com