Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-04-2008, 01:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Great Surprise Today

Our LFS called today and they got us a mated pair of clowns. Was 37.07 (including tax) a fair price for them? We watched them do what my wife calls the shimmie dance for about 20 min. We also got the fake rock that they seemed to be hosting. Our other clown went back to the LFS. I'll put pictures on here when they settle down.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Congrats. That sounds awesome. Yes not a bad price at all? Wat type of clowns, not true percs of course for that price?

Old 09-04-2008, 02:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

They were sold as true percs, but my wife says their false. We'll post pics soon and see if their true or false.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I really doubt that they would be... not to worry though that is a great price for 2 of pretty much any clownfish. Thats why you got to be careful about some LFS cause a lot of people dont know what they are talking about a lot of the time. They wanna make a sale, If they arent im sure they are still gorgeous.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I found this article on About.com. Might be of some help.

We have heard some saltwater aquarists say that the difference between the True and False Percula Clown or Anemonefish is simply that the false species is tank-raised in captivity and has never seen the ocean. Hmmmm. So if this is the only reason these clownfish differ, and hypothetically you placed a "tank-raised" Percula into the ocean, does it miraculously become a True Percula Clownfish? What do you think?

Percula Clownfish, Clown Anemonefish
(Amphiprion percula)
Photo by Rob Borycki

Because of its name, Amphiprion percula, it is the True Percula Clownfish.
Typically orange in color with three white bars, with the middle bar having a forward-projecting bulge.
Has 10 (rarely 9) dorsal spines.
Usually has jet black margins of varied widths around its white bars, often of which can be rather thick.

Distribution of this species in nature: Northern Queensland and Melanesia (New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland, Solomon Islands, and Vanuatu).
  • False Percula, Ocellaris Clownfish
    (Amphiprion ocellaris)
    Photo by David Wade
  • Typically orange in color with three white bars, with the middle bar having a forward-projecting bulge.
  • Has 11 (rarely 10) dorsal spines.
  • The spinous (anterior) part of the dorsal fin is taller.
  • May have no black margins present, but most often has thin, never thick black margins around its white bars.
  • Distribution of this species in nature: Andaman and Nicobar Islands (Andaman Sea), Indo-Malayan Archipelago, Philippines, northwestern Australia; coast of Southeast Asia northwards to the Ryukyu Islands.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's a bad article... the two pictures they show of the true perc are not both true percs! The first picture on the left is a false perc (Amphiprion ocellaris). The second picture on the right is a true perc (Amphiprion percula).
Old 09-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
That's a bad article... the two pictures they show of the true perc are not both true percs! The first picture on the left is a false perc (Amphiprion ocellaris). The second picture on the right is a true perc (Amphiprion percula).
Are you sure? I see an aweful lot of online stores with pics of true percs looking like the one on the left. That one in the first pic looks like a juvinile (true) starting to get more of its darker color around the bands. If you save the pic and zoom in, you can see what I am talking about. I'm in no way accusing that you are wrong. I just want to straighten this out.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Anybody else have any thoughts on this?
Old 09-04-2008, 01:06 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Hard to tell, it could be just that it hasn't developed full coloration yet like you said. It looks more like an ocellaris than a percula in my opinion though.

Here is a good pic of the coloration of a percula.

http://www.nano-reef.com/fish/images/perculaclown1.jpg

I do see what you are saying about the black coloration on the left pic, Chisel. Hard to tell. I have some picture of my false percs in my gallery and you can see the black on them that kinda looks like the first picture.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

It is hard to tell and like i said, I was not trying to say that Kurt is wrong. I was only trying to help Spazz out.

Tags
eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com