Green algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwint

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had my tank for eight years and have had my fair share of mistakes.I have moved alot with different typest of waters and still I'm getting green algae.I keep my light on no more than six hours.Let me start off with I have a 75 gal comments tank with one shrimp and six small fish.I feed them a half cube of mysis shrimp once a day.My tests are always great.I also have a octopus skimmer.I'm also adding stuff for metals etc.I do a 10% water change every two weeks.

Stop using additives for starters.
Secondly, you are feeding a lot of food into the system that your water changes aren't keeping up with. You won't be detecting any nitrates/phosphates due to the amount of algae in the system.
You will need to do large water changes with ro/di water. I'd do 50% every couple of days on top of 10% weekly water changes. This will bring the nutrients down drastically, but safely.
Manually remove the algae during these water changes.

I'd do at least 20% water changes weekly as regular maintenance. As sniperhank pointed out, you need a couple of large water changes first. Idk what your tap water is like.....if you use tap water or not, but I wouldn't add anything but Prime or a dechlorinator. Is your tank getting sunlight from a window?

No sunlight,and I have spring water and noticed there is pink staines around my shower so maybe my water isn't as clean as I thought.

Out of curiosity......have you tested your water? Pink staines are generally airborne bacteria at water level. Like around toilets and showers. I wouldn't think that would be a case for your tank.

I've had my tank for eight years and have had my fair share of mistakes.I have moved alot with different typest of waters and still I'm getting green algae.I keep my light on no more than six hours.Let me start off with I have a 75 gal comments tank with one shrimp and six small fish.I feed them a half cube of mysis shrimp once a day.My tests are always great.I also have a octopus skimmer.I'm also adding stuff for metals etc.I do a 10% water change every two weeks.

I agree adding additives is not a good thing they always come with issues down the line.

water changes do you use RO/DI water , I see you said you move different waters please clarify.', with the amount of phosphates added daily with feedings 10% water changes really don't even cut the edge off your nitrates and phosphates every 2 weeks in 75g , I would suggest doubling up on water changes . doing this you should see a big change as algae dies off

with 6 fish and 1 shrimp you should manage around 8 feedings from a cube.
this will not only help lower nitrate and phosphate level it will help in reducing the green algae along with more steady water changes till you have it under control.

remember it's a part of salt water we all had our times dealing with algae so your not alone.

http://www.melevsreef.com/articles/getting-rid-of-green-algae

I will check my tank for phosphates and my tap water.Thanks for all the advise.

I checked my tap and it looks like it's almost zero or 0.5 and my tank is near 2.0

I checked my tap and it looks like it's almost zero or 0.5 and my tank is near 2.0

I'll do a 50 % water change today after I clean everything and double up on water changes.

I did a 50% water change and just tested my water and it's worse.Its at 5.0 now and I put new carbon in it.My tap water is almost 0 so I don't understand it.I did add seachem neutral regulator could that do it?

I'll do a 50 % water change today after I clean everything and double up on water changes.

I just read the bottle and it says contains phosphate buffers.Should I do another 50% without any additived?

My water is 5.0 after the water change.I think it's the neutral regulator I added

As I believe was previously stated, you shouldn’t endorsing anything into this system.
These phosphates won’t be coming from an additive but your water source and feeding.

Why did it go from 2.0 to 5.0 after a water change,that doesn't make sense.

I believe carbon creates phosphates. Maybe cut that out for a bit. Cut your feeding in half for a week. And clean your filters out good. Organics are responsible for phosphates as well.

Activated carbon can't and won't create phosphates.
I agree with cutting the feeding in half and continuing with large water changes...but you will need to use ro/di water for your water changes. Tap water is most likely bringing in issues, as if I remember correctly you stated that you are using such as your water source.

I guess I'll take out 50% and fill up five gallons a day from the water at walmart.Its r/o water and I'll do it daily.

I ran my 55 gallon reef off of the ro water from walmart. You won't get the nutrients down low enough to get rid of the algae. I battled and battled. I tried and threw a lot of money towards it. Getting my own ro/di unit was the only solution.

Back
Top Bottom