Green Algea Infested on Glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMercer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
the best way to describe this algea is a green felt on the rear of the tank. I usually use a magnet scrubber on the front but because the tanks in a corner i cant reach the back, and as a rule of thumb i do not put my hands in my tank unless its necessary. I have done water changes, i have reduced lighting (6 hours for acetic and 4 hours for daylight), i have blocked all sunlight coming in with eclipse shades, and i feed 1 pinch of pellets every 3 days. I also have some algea on some rocks i first thought was hair algea, but its not as long, and seems to fall under "fuzz". I have read the infamous link regarding combating or controlling nuiscence algea. do i need to just scrape this stuff off and catch it in a fish net?i was hoping for coraline growth on the rear of the tankn and did not want to disturb it so much. I have some small spots of coraline on the glass, and power heads... majority of rocks covered, the rest patches.. what to do i need to do?!?!?!?!?

Setup
65 gallon tall hex
100w Nova T5 extreme lighting (2 acetic /2 daylight / 2 night led's)
75w UV Sterilizer
canister filter w/ spray bar with surface skimmer for intake
2 power heads (one half way, and a nano at bottom behind rocks)
modified Bio Cube Protien Skimmer (14 inch tube)
* dont knock the biocube protien skimmer, my lfs laughed at me until they seen what it can and does pull from the tank.

*Live stock
3 Clown fish
2 anemones
1 unidentified crab (size of a nickle)
2 fire shrimp
1 coral banded shrimp
about a dozen of hermits (blue legged)
4 large snails (2 huge snails)
3 stalks of Xenia
2 mushrooms (hitch hiked on lr)
80 lbs of LR

Water tests (all API Liquid tests@ 11pm)
Nitrite and Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrate 10 ppm
PH 7.8
Phospahte = 0ppm ( i use ROWA in the canister filter)
Calcium =400ppm
KH = 11 dKH
Salinity 1.022

The only dosing i do is 5ml of Alkalinity once a week, and 10ml of calcium once a week (R-E-E-F Restore). I do weekly water changes with RO/DI water using salt (Tropic Marine) mixed at LFS. all water is monitored by lfs and purchased from lfs.

Can you test the water from the LFS?
Do you have foam/sponges in your filter? If so, do you rinse it in old SW?
Generally, I will scrape the glass the day before my PWC and let the filter suck in all the gunk.

I have a sponge media in my canister, actually 2 types. 1 is a biological mesh, the other is the floss. I test the water from my LFS, i actually switched to another lfs because my main supplier's water had 16-18 dKH and was all wacky. I do weekly water changes with high quality water, and high quality salt (Tropic Marin).

If your question regarding sponges was in regards to live sponge, i have a little that lives in there as well as in my tank.

The algea after a couple days of limited light is turning dark green, light brown, and white in patches so i assume that it may be dieing off. Dont know though... well atleast my snails have a feast.

I rinse the bio sponge (black floss type media) with old SW, and rinse the white floss with tap and allow to dry, i know i need to replace the floss soon

Back
Top Bottom