Green Brittle Star Attack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scavenger12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a FOWLR and inverts. Yesterday I added a few inverts including a Fire Red Shrimp. I have a green brittle star in there already. Today my wife came home to find the star eating the shrimp. At first I figured the shrimp had died and the star was eating him after the fact but after a few minutes she noticed the shrimp was actually still alive. She tried to save it but no luck. Is this common? Should I be worried about anything else? I have a Lg coral banded, a couple peppermint, an arrow crab, a regular serpent, and a few assorted snails, emerald crabs, and a red flame scallop.

As a side note. I have noticed the top of the body of the Green Brittle Star "bubbling" or "bulging". Don't know how else to describe it. It's very odd looking. This is something I noticed this morning prior to the shrimp attack as well as this evening

The green brittle is the only brittle that is a known fish eater. As for worrying, that's for you to decide. I would target feed him meaty foods regularly if you intend to keep him. right before lights out too.

Thanks Doug, It would have been nice if the guy at the store had mentioned anything like that before I bought it. Very frustrating! I appreciate the advice

As for the "bubbling" "bulging"......any idea what that's about?

Back
Top Bottom