Green Chromis at night....???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marc118

Aquarium Advice FINatic
One of my green chromis seems to turn a very dark color at night, but the other is still bright in color? By night I mean 0 lighting pitch black. I couldnt see them so i flipped on a light ( was that too stressful? ) and the two of themwere in a corner together, one dark on light...after a minuts its scaled started to gains color again....is this normal? Ive never kept a damsel before...Are these just some sort of nocturnal marking they use in the wild to hide?

Were they mating possibly? Im not sure what sex they are.

Lots of fish seem to change colors when resting in the dark. I wouldn't worry about it - even though the other doesn't change colors.

The one with the full color probably was awake at the time, maybe using the bathroom at that moment or something. :roll: :lol:

yes, its perfectly normal, unless you can tell something else is wrong with the fish....and i think (not sure tho) that damsels are known for doing that. I have seen them do that anyways, where only some of them change colors and others dont. Just to be sure tho, check all your water stuff just in case...

Water params are good, they are very active this morning. Should I feed them anything besides BS?

Soak that brine in garlic an Zoe or some kinda vitamin. They need their veggies too sometime.

I alternate between frozen soaked shrimp, flakes, pellets, and frozen formula one and two. Feeding just one food only can't be good.

Chromis will go nuts over "meaty" planktonic foods like Cyclop-eeze. Cyclop-eeze is also very nutritional. Brine shrimp contain very little nutrients unless soaked, as mentioned, or gut-packed before use. A varied diet is best. HTH

They have been eating a mix between OSI marine flake ( love em ) and frozen brine/mysis

These do. They are frozen cubes with much more than brine shrimp in them, lots of vitamins and veggies.

Back
Top Bottom