Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Green Hair algae

I have some green hair algae that currently started growing on my LR. Im pretty sure its due to my lights being 8-9 months old. So im going to change the bulb asap, but in the mean time has anyone had any luck with a tang that eats this? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightryder1405
I have some green hair algae that currently started growing on my LR. Im pretty sure its due to my lights being 8-9 months old. So im going to change the bulb asap, but in the mean time has anyone had any luck with a tang that eats this? Thanks in advance.
In the past when I had a larger tank I had a similar issue and I didn't have luck with my tang however I've heard they can. What I've read that most have had success with is the Foxface. I've had one before but not when I had an algae issue. Hmmm...but if they eat it then I guess I didn't know I had one!

Old 10-22-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

What kind of tang did you have?
Old 10-23-2012, 12:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightryder1405
What kind of tang did you have?
I've had a blue regal, powder brown, powder blue, and a yellow tang (not all in the same tank at once of course). They are one of my fav fish. They are very active and I like that! You just have to make sure and QT them and anything going in because they are very susceptible to parasites. Also, I would buy one locally rather than Internet so you can see what you get and watch them eat.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yea, thanks for the advice.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

This is easy to remove manually. Hair algae comes from phosphate issues, maybe overfeeding but are you using RO/DI water? Many tanks gett his issue from the unknowns that come out of your tap water. I don't even want to know everything that my RO/DI unit is removing from my water.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well the old foxface trick didn't work for me. I have a brownish algae in my tank on the LR so I purchased one, dude ate it for like a day sonn as I put him in the tank. Now he is just waiting for mysis shrimp. PECKER!!! But he is a pretty cool fish.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
This is easy to remove manually. Hair algae comes from phosphate issues, maybe overfeeding but are you using RO/DI water? Many tanks gett his issue from the unknowns that come out of your tap water. I don't even want to know everything that my RO/DI unit is removing from my water.
I feed every other day alternating between flakes, frozen mysis, and cyclopeeze. I purchase RO/DI water from my LFS. At the moment i am only using a single 50/50 flouresant bulb. I am currently only running an emperor 400 using carbon media for filtration. Ive been doing water changes every other week. I know a skimmer would help but as of right now funds are a lil low. The bulb is about 8 months old so im 80 % sure that its the problem.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

The bulbs might be adding to the issue, but what is in your tank that you are feeding every other day?
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

2 true clowns, 2 reef chromis, scooter blenny, diamond goby, purple firefish, brittle star, cleaner shrimp, 1 candylactus anemone, 1 BTA. I also have a yellow tang that is comming out tomorrow for QT since he hasnt eaten in a wk. Had him for 4 months and all of a sudden stopped eating all together and he is the last thing added.

Tags
algae, green, hair, hair algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com