Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

green hair algea

Hi Guys I have a major problem I have green hair algea everywhere. I have tried new lights for less time, lower temp, less feeding and no luck. I even tried removing the glass tops and using egg crate the alge is so bad that I am using a turkey baster 2 to 3 times a week and cleaning the filter intakes every day as well as the glass I cant seem to keep snails or hermits alive for more then a week or so. Please help me find a solution Thanks again, Sue

Old 04-26-2007, 05:20 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Yellow Tang, Royal Gramma, Lawnmower Blennie, Clowns(2), Blue Tang in a 55 gal.

That's the main reason IMO. Reduce your bio-load to reduce your nutrients that the algae feeds off of.

Algae needs excess nutrients to feed off of. Mostly it's levels of po4 above .03 ppm that causes algae blooms. No3 plays a small role also but IME only if it's above 20 ppm.

Test your source water for no3/po4 and thaw/rinse your frozen before adding to the tank to help reduce po4 also. If your source water contains no3/po4 get a RO/DI filter.

Do you have a skimmer? Do you clean your filters weekly?

You're doing most of the 10 Step Plan for Nuisance Algae Control already but overstocked tanks are aways going to be battling algae.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi again I am sorry the profile has not been updated in quite a while. We no longer have the yellow tang. We do clean the filters at least 2 to 3 times a week and we do have a bak pak skimmer. I also do about a 20% water change with RO water once a week. I only feed fresh not frozen so I dont think that could be the problem. I appreciate all the help and I am really frustrated with this whole thing it was never a problem before it just seemed to pop up about 3 months ago now its out of control. Thanks again for all the help Sue
Old 04-26-2007, 11:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

The best thing to do is trying to solve the problem long term as tecwzrd said, but IMO the best thing to do to start off with is to remove it manually. Either by syphon during a pwc or trying to remove it by hand when you can get a chance. I know it easier said than done, but its a start and has worked for me in the past.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Part of it could be a light spectrum shift if you haven't changed bulbs. Don't worry and try different things like less feedings or checking source water params. changing water more often, cleanup crew ect.....hth
I'm researching lighting and realized a higher spectrum helps inhibit growth of some nuisance algeas.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I've had major green algae problems before. My solution was (and still is today) to physically remove rocks covered with algae and scrubbed it off with a toothbrush. Very trying and tedious but effective. Then use a Diatom filter to remove as much algae particles as possible and then make a small water change (10 to 15%) every 7 days. Leave your lights off for at least 10 days. After this, everything is good again. I'm no expert but his works for me.

Hope this helps

My Diatom filter is a "Whisper Diatomagic Filter " I love this thing!!
Old 05-05-2007, 06:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you tested the water yet?? Post numbers for us..
You need to test your top off water also to see if its coming in that way.
Phosban reactor can help if PO4 is the issue..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:46 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree. Post your numbers and let`s see what is going on. That needs to be the first order of buisness. Then we will know how to progress.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algea, hair

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com