Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

A minimum that you would want is lb per gallon which still leaves you 5lbs short...you can try rescaping to add space

Old 04-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could you post a picture of your current setup?

Old 04-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I read where it was only necessary to have a pound per gallon if I wasn't going to use a filter. I more than likely have almost 100 pounds but it's mostly base rock. I just guessed 70 to be safe I know the base rock I bought was a heck of a lot heavier than the 20 pounds of live rock I purchased
Old 04-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

This is from my phone if it posts right
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-763590375.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	91274   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3934214053.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	91275  

Old 04-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

LOL, I missed which forum this was in, you'll be fine with an angel then if you won't have corals. You'll also save a fortune on lighting too since FOWLR doesnt have any lighting requirements like corals do.

With a mandarin it's not really about the hiding spots but the diet issues. The one I bought was an ORA one that was supposed to be eating pellets. Well, got her home and no go on pellets or ANYTHING I fed her. She just hunted for the pods I had in my tank. It took about a month of multiple feedings a day and an insane amount of time and effort but she started eating frozen food for me. I also had to shut off all water flow and target feed her with a turkey baster full of food. If I had to do it again I probably wouldn't. Even almost a year later I have to target feed her and watch her constantly to make sure she is eating.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

What I would do, if I were you is make a list of fish you want. Keep in mind this can be a long term list and you shouldn't expect go get everything at once.
Once you do this compare the compatibly of the fish and take it slow. limit your self to 2 or 3 big fish.

Edit
If you want a mandarin. seed your tank over the course of several months with pods. you will need to look into getting some sort of refugium. If you want to keep a mandarin on pods alone.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Was going to ask my lfs what they feed it cause they seem to have one every time u am there
Old 04-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones1483
Was going to ask my lfs what they feed it cause they seem to have one every time u am there
A lot of times they don't eat at the petstores. They may claim they eat mysis but that's because they just feed the whole tank and its still alive but really they are just slowly starving and once you get it home it may already be to late..only reason the petstores don't see many deaths in store is because everyone looks at it like I want that fish right now because of there unique and beautiful appearance
Old 04-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

if they are wild they only eat pods and might be able to be trained to each prepared food, but thats alot of work. ORA mandarins(don't currently breed Green ones) are fed only prepared food; however, my lfs for example has sold about dozen over the past 6 months and 3 or 4 of them refused to eat prepared food.

Your lfs most likely hopes for high turnover and never feeds them.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am going to take the advice and not get one til way down the road. Also going to skip the yellow tang and try out a lemon peel tang

Tags
mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com