Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2015, 09:13 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have to agree with the above. I did have a mandarin, for a few years in fact but the stress every day I faced if he died or not was just not worth it. I checked the tank several times a day and still fed him like 6 times a day or more, even after he started eating frozen which I must say I was REALLY lucky he did. Most dont convert to prepared foods and then its just a waiting game to see how long he can live with the pods you have in your tank. It's so sad that this beautiful fish has come to this. I wouldnt get another one I dont think. My Mandy has been gone for over a year and I still miss seeing her, but the risks in getting another one are just too great.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:59 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

How long does it take the pods to populate?I got a can of those red pods from a LFS like 3 weeks ago for my refug/sump. I am starting to see spots of red algae on the side panel.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 04-06-2015, 11:35 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I would also highly suggest passing on the mandarin. Suggestions of colorful fish for your tank:
-Tailspot Blenny
-Dottyback
-Royal Gramma
-Pygmy Angel (Can be risky with coral sometimes. Mainly SPS.)
-Swissguard Basslet (Pricey but beautiful.)
-Forktail Blenny (Often overlooked, but a very cool fish.)
-Ocellaris Clownfish
-Yellow Stripped Cardinal
Old 04-06-2015, 01:19 PM   #14
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffee View Post
How long does it take the pods to populate?I got a can of those red pods from a LFS like 3 weeks ago for my refug/sump. I am starting to see spots of red algae on the side panel.

spots of red algae are not signs of pods
you can sometimes have pods populating in you tank during your cycle
you may also see pods in your tank after it cycles but the question is are there enough to support a mandarin the answer is no
why you may ask it's because the pods you are seeing will die off slowly after your cycle, pods will start to populate over time as your tank matures usually
around 6 months to a year , as you are waiting to add your mandarin you may add other fish some of which may consume pods this will diminish your pod population rapidly in small tanks up to around 30g, pod populations have a better chance on increasing there populations in larger tanks
mandarins can eat from 1500 to 2000 pods a day if not more and can wipe out a large population of pods in a matter of days

I got lucky when I got my mandarin I was able to train hm to eat other foods besides pods ,brine shrimp , pellets , frozen mysiss , also live baby mysiss
it cost me a fortune to buy pods and other foods for him all the time until I started to raise my own food, pods ,brine ,and mysiss , it was a lot of work
just to feed a mandarin
I had my mandarin over 3+ years I lost the poor guy during a transfer over to my 90g tank
will I ever get another mandarin I would love too. but do I really want all that stress of raising all kinds of foods for him to survive it was hard work ,
yes they are beautiful fish but the odds to me getting another I got better odds getting hit with a snowball in july
I had also posted a link in post 4 above that will provide more info
Old 04-06-2015, 01:23 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh I am not trying to get a mandarian, just trying to raise pods to support species in my tank.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #16
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

well most of the same stuff apply s

in your early stages you will see pods during cycle even after , those will most likely die off , as your tank matures pods will slowly start to populate , around 6 months in they will start increasing and around a year they'll be a lot , but if you ever add any fish that eats pods your population will slowly decrease

Tags
fish, green, mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com