Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2007, 09:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

green mandrins

I recently purchased a green mandrin ( He is being held for 2weeks at the lfs) and I read some where that mandrins don't get ick. The article said something about because of what they eat that they are immune. The reason I ask is because I don't have my qt set up right now. The lfs will hold him for a while. I was thinking about drip acclimating him and just adding him to the main after the 2 weeks at the lfs. What do you think????

Old 05-18-2007, 11:16 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I don't recall hearing that they can't get ich, any chance you can post the article you read, I am really interested in checking it out.
As for QT, it is best to QT, period, otherwise you risk your main tank's health. You can get a QT pretty quickly if you seed it correctly.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Actually Mandarin dragonets are more ich resistant then most fish. I wouldn't go as far to say that they cannot get ich, though their highly toxic, thick slime coat prevents parasite intrusion from nearly all external parasites. Again they are not parasite-proof but just more resistant then most fish.

As for qt'ing Mandarinfish I would highly recommend against it. Mandarins do not take prepared foods and get their meals almost solely off of live rock. Copepods, Amphipods, and other natural crustaceans that live on live rock are there main food sources and without a well established tank, lots of live rock, and a good refugium a mandarin will likely slowly starve in captivity.

I would get the fish home from the LFS and into a well established reef tank as quickly as possible if you hope to keep it fed and healthy.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:13 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Cool, thanks for the info!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the info. I was concerned about him eating also. I have waited 2 years for my tank to mature before I attempted a mandrin. I don't have a refuge but I do have alot of live rock. The mandrin only arrived at the lfs 2 days ago. I thought I would let him settle in to reduce stress before moving him again
Old 05-18-2007, 02:09 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I kind of agree with macman on this that the mandarin will most likely just feed off pods unless you or your LFS can get him to eat prepared foods. Most do not but there are always some that do. I have one question in that what will he be eating while he`s at the LFS for the next two weeks? You need to make sure he is eating while he is there and you dont get a fish that has not eaten in two weeks.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

tm,

The only frozen food, (well any food other then natural foodstuffs) I have gotten a mandarin to eat is Cylopeeze. I have noticed, since I turn off all my water pumps and filters when I feed the corals, that my mandarin actively picks at the little red crustaceans.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the info. THe tank he is in has lr in it but I think I am gonna get him Monday
Old 05-19-2007, 02:53 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Just keep in mind that although mandarins don't usually get or carry ich, the water from the lfs might. You could buy pods to feed it in QT for a few weeks.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can buy pods? I thought for some reason that pods and fauna were the same thing. For some reason I assumed that they were something that just produced itself with aging. Kinda like a biological filter. You can't see it but it's there and it only happens in nature.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com