Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-19-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Green Moray Eel

Can anyone fill me in on the Green Moray Eel? Through research on the internet people say they get pretty big, but how big? Will it grow to be to big for the 180 gallon I have if I decided to get one? Will it do ok with the Ray?

Steve

Old 04-19-2010, 05:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It don't move around to much so you may be okay with the 180 but as it grows it will put your other fish in danger.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Will it grow to be to big for the 180 gallon I have if I decided to get one?
They grow to over 7' in the wild and 5'-6' in an aquarium...so what do you think?
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...762&pcatid=762
"the Green Eel should not be kept by most aquarists. It is best kept in public aquariums or in its natural habitat"
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your 180 gal meets the minimum size requirement, but I'd seriously weigh the pro's and con's of having one. It would probably have to be a species only tank because of its aggressive nature and cleaning the tank or doing any aquascaping could result in loss of fingers or your entire hand.

In general, Liveaquaria.com is spot on with their recommendations and if they are saying it's best left to public aquariums or in the wild, I'd seriously consider getting a different eel type. If you get him, I'd go to your LAS (local armor shop) and get some gloves made lol.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
They grow to over 7' in the wild and 5'-6' in an aquarium...so what do you think?
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Green Eel
"the Green Eel should not be kept by most aquarists. It is best kept in public aquariums or in its natural habitat"
Goes to show you how good I researched eh? :P
They just seem so different and cool compared to your typical more commonly found Eel like the Snowflake Eel. I do appreciate the help though, I still may give it a try though. I'll see what the marine biologist at the LFS says.
Are they really that aggressive though? In comparison to say a Snowflake Eel?

Steve
Old 04-20-2010, 12:38 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

They are not for home aquaria unless you can afford a 300g+ tank. I care for a 3' adult at work in a 300g and KNOW it will eventually need to be moved to a larger home. They would be best kept as solitary animals and can be quite aggressive. Marine Biologists at the lfs huh? Given that they work there I can only assume they'd lighten the true needs of this animal in order to make a sale, even though these eels aren't too demanding; however, 25%-50% bi-weekly water changes aren't out of the ordinary. They are also exceptional escapists and you would definitely need to bolt an aquarium top down (we use nylon threaded bolts/nuts).
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:41 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratmaster View Post
Goes to show you how good I researched eh? :P
They just seem so different and cool compared to your typical more commonly found Eel like the Snowflake Eel. I do appreciate the help though, I still may give it a try though. I'll see what the marine biologist at the LFS says.
Are they really that aggressive though? In comparison to say a Snowflake Eel?

Steve
Def would be ALOT more aggressive then a Snowflake.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:41 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's not that they are more or less aggressive than a snowflake, it's just that they are so much bigger and need so much more space. Also snowflakes eat inverts and green eels eat large fish. There is also the danger factor just because they are so large. Do you have young children in your home?
Old 04-20-2010, 12:55 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
It's not that they are more or less aggressive than a snowflake, it's just that they are so much bigger and need so much more space. Also snowflakes eat inverts and green eels eat large fish. There is also the danger factor just because they are so large. Do you have young children in your home?
Na I'm single so no kids lol, just quite a few animals is all really. How would it do compatibility wise with the Ray? The Ray is quite large so I don't think that should be a problem. However would it bite me if I were to be moving stuff around or doing tank maintenance?

Steve
Old 04-20-2010, 12:59 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
They are not for home aquaria unless you can afford a 300g+ tank. I care for a 3' adult at work in a 300g and KNOW it will eventually need to be moved to a larger home. They would be best kept as solitary animals and can be quite aggressive. Marine Biologists at the lfs huh? Given that they work there I can only assume they'd lighten the true needs of this animal in order to make a sale, even though these eels aren't too demanding; however, 25%-50% bi-weekly water changes aren't out of the ordinary. They are also exceptional escapists and you would definitely need to bolt an aquarium top down (we use nylon threaded bolts/nuts).
Na actually, the marine biologist at my LFS is a really good guy. There's actually several fish I've wanted to purchase from him and he simply would not sell them to me because he said they're best kept in the wild. So odds are he's going to tell me to pass on the Green Moray Eel. He's actually the owner of the store and is really dedicated to marine life, went to school quite a few years.

We'll see though, I'm going to talk to him tomorrow probably. I myself don't actually want an animal to demanding like that, my ray needs quite a bit of extra care water quality wise so I don't want two fish like that.

Steve

Tags
eel, moray

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com