Green Moray Eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stratmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anyone fill me in on the Green Moray Eel? Through research on the internet people say they get pretty big, but how big? Will it grow to be to big for the 180 gallon I have if I decided to get one? Will it do ok with the Ray?

Steve

It don't move around to much so you may be okay with the 180 but as it grows it will put your other fish in danger.

Your 180 gal meets the minimum size requirement, but I'd seriously weigh the pro's and con's of having one. It would probably have to be a species only tank because of its aggressive nature and cleaning the tank or doing any aquascaping could result in loss of fingers or your entire hand.

In general, Liveaquaria.com is spot on with their recommendations and if they are saying it's best left to public aquariums or in the wild, I'd seriously consider getting a different eel type. If you get him, I'd go to your LAS (local armor shop) and get some gloves made lol.

They grow to over 7' in the wild and 5'-6' in an aquarium...so what do you think?
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Green Eel
"the Green Eel should not be kept by most aquarists. It is best kept in public aquariums or in its natural habitat"

Goes to show you how good I researched eh? :p
They just seem so different and cool compared to your typical more commonly found Eel like the Snowflake Eel. I do appreciate the help though, I still may give it a try though. I'll see what the marine biologist at the LFS says.
Are they really that aggressive though? In comparison to say a Snowflake Eel?

Steve

They are not for home aquaria unless you can afford a 300g+ tank. I care for a 3' adult at work in a 300g and KNOW it will eventually need to be moved to a larger home. They would be best kept as solitary animals and can be quite aggressive. Marine Biologists at the lfs huh? Given that they work there I can only assume they'd lighten the true needs of this animal in order to make a sale, even though these eels aren't too demanding; however, 25%-50% bi-weekly water changes aren't out of the ordinary. They are also exceptional escapists and you would definitely need to bolt an aquarium top down (we use nylon threaded bolts/nuts).

Goes to show you how good I researched eh? :p
They just seem so different and cool compared to your typical more commonly found Eel like the Snowflake Eel. I do appreciate the help though, I still may give it a try though. I'll see what the marine biologist at the LFS says.
Are they really that aggressive though? In comparison to say a Snowflake Eel?

Steve

Def would be ALOT more aggressive then a Snowflake.

It's not that they are more or less aggressive than a snowflake, it's just that they are so much bigger and need so much more space. Also snowflakes eat inverts and green eels eat large fish. There is also the danger factor just because they are so large. Do you have young children in your home?

Last edited:
It's not that they are more or less aggressive than a snowflake, it's just that they are so much bigger and need so much more space. Also snowflakes eat inverts and green eels eat large fish. There is also the danger factor just because they are so large. Do you have young children in your home?

Na I'm single so no kids lol, just quite a few animals is all really. How would it do compatibility wise with the Ray? The Ray is quite large so I don't think that should be a problem. However would it bite me if I were to be moving stuff around or doing tank maintenance?

Steve

They are not for home aquaria unless you can afford a 300g+ tank. I care for a 3' adult at work in a 300g and KNOW it will eventually need to be moved to a larger home. They would be best kept as solitary animals and can be quite aggressive. Marine Biologists at the lfs huh? Given that they work there I can only assume they'd lighten the true needs of this animal in order to make a sale, even though these eels aren't too demanding; however, 25%-50% bi-weekly water changes aren't out of the ordinary. They are also exceptional escapists and you would definitely need to bolt an aquarium top down (we use nylon threaded bolts/nuts).

Na actually, the marine biologist at my LFS is a really good guy. There's actually several fish I've wanted to purchase from him and he simply would not sell them to me because he said they're best kept in the wild. So odds are he's going to tell me to pass on the Green Moray Eel. He's actually the owner of the store and is really dedicated to marine life, went to school quite a few years.

We'll see though, I'm going to talk to him tomorrow probably. I myself don't actually want an animal to demanding like that, my ray needs quite a bit of extra care water quality wise so I don't want two fish like that.

Steve

I would say no on the ray as they are 2 COMPLETELY different enviroments. The eel NEEDS a large tank (very large) and the ray can benifet from the large tank. The thing is the Moray need quite a bit of live rock as it is a hiding fish. Tons of live rock and stingrays dont match. So it would either be a bare tank with not enough live rock for him equaling a stressed eel, or a stingray with not enough space. So i would say even if they were compatible you would even a LARGER tank to accommodate both environments.

Your eel would probably eat the ray or at least both heavily wounded. I don't know what type of ray you have, but you'd prob need at least a 3000g tank just to see if you can get away with it (doubt it) due to aggression by the eel (I hear rays are nummy).

California ray, AKA round stingray. He's got plenty of space in their now even with 170 pounds of LR. Wow you really think he'd eat or injure the Ray eh?

Steve

Aside from the whole eating the stingray thing, how would you be able to manage it if it got 4-5 ft. long and you had to move the tank? Trying to catch a big morray eel sounds like antibacterial cream and stitches to me lol.

Why not just get another type of eel? Like a Chain eel, Ghost eel, or Zebra eel.. i think any eel is awesome besides the garden eel which looks butt ugly.

Why not just get another type of eel? Like a Chain eel, Ghost eel, or Zebra eel.. i think any eel is awesome besides the garden eel which looks butt ugly.

Superb idea. I think a snowflake eel or any other smaller eel would do good. You could put flat things in the tnak that would not tear the stingrays fins for it to hide under and put small piles of live rock in the corners like a mini structure for it. Make sure it is not too small though as it could get eaten by the stingray.

I have been caring for a 3.5 feet Green Moray eel at home for over a month now, I have not seen it feed once, im afraid it might die. I have tried target feeding even with lights off and its shy to eat. I have tried fish(tilapi) also squid, complete and small pieces, also silversides and calamari rings. I think im running out of options. Water parameters are in check Temp is 82-83 Degrees constant. I have soaked food in Selcon Vitamin and garlic and nothing seems to work please help i think if it does not eat soon it will die.

Please help.

Back
Top Bottom